"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Daddy Love

As I sat down to write this blog involving artwork from my daughter, my wife said that's exactly what SHE had blogged about yesterday. Great minds think alike.

A few years ago, daughter number 4 kept drawing pictures and adding words with arrows pointing to her creations.
One theme that kept recurring was the one in which the word "LOVE" and "JENNA" kept appearing alongside the drawings of a little girl and a stunningly handsome man.After seeing this several times, I finally asked her to tell me about it.
Turns out that "stunningly-handsome-man" was me. I tried to act surprised. "Really?" I said. "I thought you've been drawing pictures of Brad Pitt." Silly daddy. Brad Pitt doesn't have arms coming out of his hips.
Then I pointed to the word LOVE and asked, "And what does this spell?"
"That spells 'Daddy.'"
Oh, how I hated to burst her bubble and tell her she was wrong. Then I got all metaphorical and realized maybe she was right. Maybe "Daddy" and "Love" are the same thing. It's quite flattering in a sense, so I chose to take it as the highest compliment.
"How did you know that's how to spell Daddy?"
She led me to a picture in our homeschool room. My wife, the teacher, had labeled several items around the room with index cards to aid in word recognition.
So the following photo shows the words "Daddy" and "Mommy" under our picture.
The word "Love" is above me. She obviously had assumed that Daddy was spelled l-o-v-e.

And notice the word above Cindy?
Yup. That explains all the pictures of God with lipstick and red hair.

6 comments:

Gayle said...

Well, I think your wife is a genius buy teaching the kids to just call her god. Of course now you're gonna have to think up another name for the Big Guy....but He's got lots.

Mr. E said...

Great Blog! Love should spell Daddy to a man who loves his children after God's Own Heart! God Bless You -- ME

Tim said...

Excellent post -- short, concise, touching, thoughtful.

When I was in college, our ethics professor asked us to find one word that we could use in place of the word 'love'. He proposed 'commitment' -- a subject he knew a lot about, as he brought his wife up to Richmond for cancer treatments a couple of times a week.

Although no one suggested 'Daddy' in that class, I think that our Abba-Daddy above would agree with you -- as I John 4:8 says, "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."

javamamma said...

I think Rob Bell wrote about God wearing lipstick. Crazy as that sounds, that chapter will make you bawl like a baby. Great post.

Cindy said...

I'm so thankful my girls have you as their Daddy. You ARE love to them. I love you, baby.

chickadee said...

so cute! my son thinks god is our preacher so i understand.