"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Thursday, August 9, 2007

Feelings Friday-abridged

Every once in a while, someone hears about one of the two really nice things I’ve ever done for my wife. They say to her, “You’re so lucky. Your husband is awesome.”

My wife kindly lets them believe this, refraining from telling them about the gazillion NOT-nice things I’ve done.

The truth is that my wife is NOT lucky. I’m not saying that out of some kind of false-humility like she’s stuck with some pathetic lump of a hubby; I really AM a terrific guy, just ask my mom.

But Cindy ending up with me--in all my awesome terrific-ness--was not a matter of luck any more than Michelangelo was lucky to have carved that handsome statue of David. It was skill, wisdom, and lots and lots and lots of hard work.

I am who I am today because of the last 13+ years that my wife has worked on me. She has challenged me, stretched me and helped me grow up. And anyone who knows me would agree that this could not have been an easy task for her; nor is it complete. I am, by nature, selfish, lazy and immature. But with my wife’s patient love and help, I’m able to be selfless, hardworking and mature…for minutes at a time.

She’s got a tough road ahead of her still, but it’s OUR road, and this journey is as much fun as the destination.

2 comments:

Gayle said...

Any guy who can say "awesome terrific-ness" in a sentence has god to be Some-Guy.

I tagged you for that marriage meme that's going around. Let's hear the scoop from the other half.

chickadee said...

sounds like you've turned out nicely. i'd say she did a pretty good job.