"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Wednesday, September 26, 2007

How to Teach a 6 Year Old to Play Euchre


[Oops. Click here for the correct link for the 12/12/07 WFMW idea. This is an old one here, but good too. Sorry.]
[for more terrific ideas, check out Rockinmydryer each Wednesday for a gazillion links]

Everyone else was gone last night except me and 6-year-old Jenna.

Her eyes lit up when I said, "Let's play a game."

We had a lot of time, so I thought it was perhaps time to train a new generation of Indianans how to play Euchre. Of course, with only two players we had to modify it some. We'll add teams later tonight maybe.

In order to teach a child a complicated game, I chose to create a story. So here is the outline:

1. There are four families who live in four castles: Hearts, Diamonds, Spades and Clubs.
2. Each family likes to play games, and you're only allowed to win a game if you're from the same family as the person who starts the game [following suit].
3. The oldest person playing almost always wins. So the Ace (which is the crotchety old grandpa living in the attic) always beats the King who beats the Queen who beats the Jack who beats the 10 who beats the 9.
4. However, a magical "Trump" spell falls over the kingdom which makes one of the families have magical powers. It lets that one family play in other families' games and they automatically win!
5. In the magical Trump family, the spell also makes the prince (Jack) extra powerful, because he's so young and studly. He beats the grandpa, king and queen and everyone else in his family and every one in every other family!
6. PLUS, the spell helps make this family larger than all the others because they get to adopt a twin brother of the matching color (also named Jack) who becomes second most powerful right after his twin brother the other Jack.
7. After playing 5 games (tricks), we see who the winner is!

Anyone who knows Euchre will get that story.
Anyone who doesn't will be saying: "THAT is why I do not play Euchre."

I must be a good teacher, because when I woke up this morning, Jenna was already downstairs playing Euchre against herself...and winning!

16 comments:

Cindy said...

Baby, you are so creative and fun. Jenna played today while you were at work and it was hilarious to hear her talking about the "adopted" Jack.

Mr. E said...

Sounds like a fun game! Is there anyway you could e-mail me the rules and instructions.

ME - 4englishpeas@sbcglobal.net

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Mr. Scott,

You see THIS is what I've been waiting for these past 14 days while you took a break from blogging. I used to understand that your Christmas letters could only come once a year. BUT THEN...you started blogging and I could laugh and laugh at your incredibly creative and witty prose on a regular basis, at least once or twice a week! What a boring two weeks it has been. The Baileys can't wait to play Euchre again with you and Cindy now that we have the background story! We can't wait to share the history with all our other Euchre friends!
Jill

Phil Vaughan said...

You, old friend, are a freaking genius. This is one of the many reasons why I miss being around you.

javamamma said...

Never heard of the game but it sounds like fun!

G.L.H. said...

Javamamma (previous comment) obviously does NOT live in Indiana...

Great idea for teaching kids Euchre--so where were you the eight times I had to do it just using the book-o'-Hoyle?

Barbara

Kim said...

Great idea!

~Fellow Hoosier

Annette said...

I'm still confused...why is the King beating his Queen? You Indianans and your Euchre!

gettingreal said...

Amazing, incredible and ingenious! I'm printing this out to save for future use.

By the way, Joshua noticed your picture and was very confused as to why Mr. Scott's face was dyed blue. I couldn't quite get him to understand the logic behind it.

Tessa said...

Hilarious. Maybe I could use that with my sisters (28,33,38). They couldn't get my version!

Heather said...

Awesome!!!! I didn't get it until I was 19!

Former Hoosier, no one in the south plays euchre.

carrie said...

I've NEVER played Euchre but I've played other various card games with obviously similar rules because that made COMPLETE sense to me...great way to explain it and I'll have to teach my kids to play now!!!

Kathleen Marie said...

This is awesome! Thanks for the great directions...Now I can teach my granddaughter when she is older. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

This is great! I happened upon this blog while searching for a book to get my grandson started on euchre, and now I don't need the book. Thanks.

Another Hoosier

Anonymous said...

This really was a great idea; kudos for the creativity. I'm going to use this with some friends of ours to help teach our two 8-yr olds euchre this weekend.

Thanks!

Angela Green said...

I live in IL right close to the Indiana border so of course, I know euchre! My husband and I have been wanting to teach our kids so I googled "how to teach euchre" and your blog popped up. I can't wait until we have a chance to teach them to play; this is genius! Two pats on the back from a total stranger. :)