"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Oh, Where Is My Hairbrush?

( if you're in labor or something else time-sensitive like the start of "Regis and Kelly Live," feel free to scroll down to the picture/logo for an actual Works-For-Me-Wednesday Idea.)

So my wife is gone for the morning.

Which leaves me with 4 girls to get ready. Granted they're all old enough to shower themselves, dress themselves, brush their own hair, and make their own ugly faces at me.

But they don't seem to be able to do so without banging on bedroom and bathroom doors begging for permission to enter and screaming when it is denied. So there's a lineup waiting for toothbrushes, mirrors, hairbrushes etc.

While we're on the subject of hairbrushes, I have a sneaking suspicion that all of our 29 brushes have run away to Vegas with half of our socks (one sock from each pair). I suppose that someday they'll return with their little half-sock-half-hairbrush offspring, but that doesn't solve the problem I'm living in AT THIS MOMENT.

If I were in a more cheerful mood, I'd sing Larry The Cucumber's "Oh, Where Is My Hairbrush."

Seriousy, daughter #2 just found a brush 5 minutes ago in another sister's backpack. And I've been just been informed that IT HAS ESCAPED! I kid you not. I saw it with my own eyes only moments ago, and now...

.....passage of time during which the Great Hairbrush Hunt # 3,918 takes place.....

Hallelujah. That brush was just found again. It was on top of the shoes by the front door. Clearly it was there looking for a vulnerable sock able to be lured from its mate.

I tell you something is going on in this house, and it's just plain unnatural.


I guess this isn't technically a "Works For Me Wednesday" idea, because it's not been implemented yet and therefore not working for me...yet. But I'm a guy, and I'm going to FIX THIS PROBLEM, so I shall refer to this post as a "It Better Work For Me Or I'll Scream Wednesday" idea.

IDEA:

Buy multiple hairbrushes, enough for approximately 12 for each room of the house (backups).

Since most hairbrushes conveniently have holes in their handles, tie a string or cord to the brush and tie the cord to some fixed object like an eye-screw attached to the inside of the brush drawer (or just the drawer handle if you hate using tools) .

I'd love to know if anyone has a solution like this, or perhaps a better one.

And if any of you live in Vegas, would you tell my socks and brushes that we're happy for them but we still miss them?

Thanks.

(and click here for other people's great "Works For Me Wednesday" ideas.)

11 comments:

ellen b said...

Scott! Your killin me! Hope you find all your stuff....

Sarah @ Real Life said...

You are so funny! I think our hairbrushes and socks went to party in Vegas with yours! You know what they say about Vegas. We're never seeing them again.

My husband will love this post, because he is always saying, "WHERE did all the brushes go?" (we have three girls)

Scott said...

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, Sarah.
I am so glad to hear that ours is not the only family with a brush crisis.
I always knew this was a problem with TV remotes, but who would expect that brushes would be the death of me?

Pmom said...

We have this problem and I responded by buying multiples-- lots & lots. Unfortunately, after a week or so, we still had the problem. Our combs are not attracted to Vegas, but to the inside of the van and the bottom of #1 daughter's backpack.

But I have found a solution! I labeled all the combs with the name of their respective homes (daughter bath, master bath, etc.). If a comb wanders from its home, we return it. Combs in otherwise appropriate comb places, but not that comb's own home, are sent home! I am surprised, but it has worked pretty well. On the average day, we are much more likely to be able to find a comb. Hurray!

I had a similar problem with scissors. Again I tried buying multiples, again I couldn't find scissors when I wanted them. With the scissors I tried a different method. The home for all scissors (a ridiculous number) is the craft closet. Scissors anywhere else are out of place. They all must return to the white mug in the craft closet. This means that I have to walk further to get a pair of scissors, but when I go there, there is always a pair waiting.

Not the Queen said...

What is it with girls and hairbrushes? Fortunately, mine are too young to even care about brushed hair right now.

You have a great idea! I'll definitely keep it in mind for when my girls get older!

Liza's Eyeview said...

yep, tying it with a string works. That's what my hubby had to do because our brushes ran away too ;)

Tessa said...

Once again, hilarious, Scoot. Oops, I typed "Scoot" instead of "Scott" but chose to leave it because it made me laugh. I think I might call you Scoot forever now. Ha! I'm still laughing.

Anyway, as one of four daughters in a house, I think this is a GREAT idea.

Llama Momma said...

Okay, I've gotta ask...

I'm looking at your picture thinking, "Why does this man NEED a hairbrush?"

Are you living in denial or is your hair more -- ahem -- abundant than your photo depicts?

Kim said...

Scott has four daughters.

carrie said...

I think the idea of tying them down is a GOOD one!!

Mr. E said...

Funny, we could probably use the same concept for scissors, hairbrushes, and (finger)nail cutters!