"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Monday, November 19, 2007

I'm A Rebel, Oh yes, I Am

You know that movie that a lot of Christians are boycotting this winter?

The one that comes out in theaters soon and is based on a book written by an atheist?

You know. That movie with Nicole Kidman that’s about this godless stuff?

The one that everyone is emailing everyone and telling them also not to see?

Yup. I’ve checked the book(s) out at the library.

Why, you may ask?

I’m a rebel.

And I wanted to be able to speak firsthand about the books/movies if people ask me if they’re bad or good or what.

And to be able to tell me children why they’re going to have to wait a while to see this movie: “Because DAD said so,” not “because SNOPES.com verified the email(S) I received.”

But mostly I’m a rebel.

To be honest, I also checked out the audio books. The actual books made out of paper I got so that the library lady (the one with the hair extensions a slightly different shade from the rest of her hair) would peg me as an intellectual. The audio books are so I could sit in my car listening while I ate straight out of my can of Chef-BoyR-Dee spaghetti with meatballs in the parking lot. (God bless the man who invented the pull-top so I didn’t need a can opener. Plus I believe/hope the meatballs are precooked, so I didn’t need a microwave either.)

Finished the first “book” and on to the second.

I hope no one at my church finds out. (My wife is mortified, I must say. She's still recovering from me bringing home Harry Potter. "What if the neighbors find out?")

Other rebellious things I do:

Dance

Watch TV

Eat Velveeta (Only rebellious because I've been told NOT to eat the whole block in one sitting)

Listen to the Christian station with ROCK music (sometimes)

Lather, rinse, NOT repeat

And when I get those cute emails with the puppies and the music and the poems that say I should forward it to 5 people if I truly love them and God?

You guessed it. I delete them.

Anyway, when I finish the series, I may be jotting a little bit of info down here for your enjoyment.

If anybody else out there has read or seen “the Golden Compass” or its sequels, I’d love your insights.

I also welcome the insights of those who choose not to read or watch. I am an equal opportunity acceptor of comments.

So have you lost all respect for me?

14 comments:

javamamma said...

No respect lost. I'm eagerly awaiting your thoughts on both the books and the movie. I think one of 'the Church's' biggest problems is we are afraid of those who disagree with us. I don't think Jesus FEARED opposition. He used is as an opportunity.

Tyna said...

No, looking forward to your review. I read Harry Potter and prayed no one would find out!

Cindy said...

I've lost all respect for you. I cannot believe you're telling people this. You are so going to get fired.

I do think it is good for you to read so you'll be able to talk semi-intelligently about it with concerned parents. But my opinion is I do not want to spend money to support it! We don't see completely eye to eye on this, but I love you anyway.

David said...

"The one with the hair extensions a slightly different shade from the rest of her hair" -- I know EXACTLY which one you're talking about!! Haha.

carrie said...

I'm undecided personally...I wasn't real thrilled to see it to begin with because I don't like Nicole...LOL! Then all the hoopla...*sigh* I'm just going to wait I think and stir the pot when the next Harry Potter movie comes out...

carrie said...

yes, I also delete those puppy emails. For shame.

And I've never even heard about this golden compass nonsense. Guess I don't get alot of emails, or I deleted it without even opening it...

Emily said...

i want to read the books, too, because i agree about having informed opinions, but SOMEONE has them checked out from the library....

Gayle said...

I'm with ya. I have to read them for myself before they get boycotted (or allowed) in our house.

One question. I've got this mental picture of you sitting on the couch with your belly hanging out of your ripped t-shirt taking bites our of the log of velveeta while watching Harry Potter. Do you really just eat that thing raw?

Tim said...

I'd probably be a rebel, but I'm too busy being an elitist snob. I don't read those books or watch the movies, because I don't like to do what everyone else is doing. I'm proud to be one of four people in the hemisphere who were adults at the time and never watched Titanic. I'm even more proud that my total exposure to O.J. Simpson's legendary chase and various legal adventures is still less than 60 seconds.

Seriously, while I'm not a big fan of boycotts and I never forward spam, I think it can be desirable to keep one's self as unsullied by the world as possible. I don't have to get down in the mud, wallow with a pig and eat his slop to know that mud is, er, muddy. As the scripture says:

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." (Romans 12:2)

I'll be interested to hear your appraisal of the audiobooks (and the meatballs), since (according to a random interview I hurriedly read) the movie is supposed to serve as relatively-innocuous bait for the more agenda-ridden books. One nice thing about people who write with an atheistic agenda is that they are often too dull to read.

There are enough good and worthy books and movies out there for me to be willing to dismiss this one (as far as my family goes) on hearsay.

Carrie said...

I'd love to hear what you have to say after reading the books. I did the same with the Da Vinci Code hoopla.

Marmee said...

I'm a rebel, too, of sorts, in a pastor's wife sort of way. But I just don't have time to read all the kids books, so tell us your thoughts on The Golden Compass. Usually I can tell what is harmless to the kids (Ratatoille) and what could potentially be bad for them (The Silence of the Lambs).;-) I usually go with my gut on things. And if there are quotes from the author saying the book is antiChristian, it's not a movie I want to support. I have in the past wished I could get on the Harry Potter bandwagon and enjoy the ride. But we just didn't go there. If you give this book a favorable review, perhaps we will consider it. Yes, we still respect you! Even if you eat Velveta!;-)

Robotface Shumway (Big Doofus) said...

Friend of a friend of a friend brought me here...or something like that. Or, maybe I was searching on Google for "robot granny puppies" and ended up here. I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm a blogging husband/dad, too. It's nice to know there are others out there. Feel free to check out my blog sometime. I'll be back.

Mr. E said...

I read the Harry Potter books and found them to be a great example of loyalty and friendship. As far as the Golden Compass Books--I have a brother-in-law who read them and found them to be very anti-religious, especially as the stories progress. He said the story had adventure and all the stuff that makes a great book, but the themes of the books and some of the content was openly anti-religious and sometimes very cruel towards the treatment of women. At least that's what he said.

Ronnica said...

I'm interested to hear what you have to say. Neither the book nor the movies seem interesting to me, so I'll waste my time on other things. I did try out the Da Vinci Code and Wicked and found them both to be trash both as bad literature and as smut (in the case of Wicked) and misinformation (Da Vinci Code).