"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Saturday, November 24, 2007

What's So Funny?

Our friend Sharon had planned her memorial service before she died. It was perfect.

Two ministers and her husband spoke, and each of them included humorous little tidbits, because, after all, Sharon was a very funny person. It would have been totally inappropriate to stay too serious at a service to remember her.

At one point, 6-year-old Jenna looked up at me with a confused expression after laughter had rippled through the room with at least 800 in attendance.

"Why are they laughing?" (as in "I don't get the joke" not "I think this is inappropriate.")


"If you were paying attention," I told my fidgety daughter, "you would understand."

"I AM paying attention," she insisted, insulted that I would think otherwise.

So she sat up even straighter and listened even more intently. The minister made a humorous reference to Sharon's temper which drew another round of laughs.

Jenna wasn't laughing.

She just looked up at me and said, "See?"

************
Yes, Jenna, there are just some things that don't make sense to young minds. But someday you'll experience more and know more and understand more.

...just as there are things that Sharon now understands so well but I haven't even a clue.

But someday...

2 comments:

Emily said...

800 people! Wow, she left her mark. I don't know that many folks. And what a smart little girl. She just wanted to be respectful. And that's a good thing.

also a good thing that her dad can explain the deeper meanings of life. Good on ya dad.

javamamma said...

Great lesson - we really don't have a clue do we?

Sharon sounds like an amazing lady. A woman who influenced many.