"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Friday, December 7, 2007

Buried Under A Nano-Meter of Snow

Don't you love how a child can take a toy out of its cardboard box and play with it for hours?
And I remember a hundred different ways I could play with just a handful of blocks. I could build forts, mountains, trains, bombs, robots...anything. I was that gifted.

I know it's tempting to think our kids need lots of stuff to be happy (and occupied). But it's refreshing sometimes to see how much delight they get out of simple things.

This morning, for instance, our kids awoke to the first snow of the season. Mind you, it had snowed previously, but it had been too warm for it to stick or accumulate.

So today when they looked out and saw the snow on the ground, they were elated. In this part of Indiana, there's never necessarily any guarantee of snow like in some parts farther north. We may get a foot of snow, or we may not get any. So my children know that they have to be thankful for whatever amount they get; this may be it, kiddos.

So they hurried to do all their morning chores so they could play outside before school. By "morning chores" I mean leaving food out on the counter, scattering schoolwork on the floor, leaving beds unmade and teeth unbrushed. But, hey, it's the first snow of the season.

Like I said, my children are thankful for whatever amount of snow they get. When you see the picture below, you'll squint to try to see any snow. Well, it's there I assure you. You just can't see it. Just as an old prospector may have to pan through 5 gazillion screen of rocks and creek water to find a pin-sized nugget o'gold, my girls toiled long and hard to harvest enough snow for some snow balls.
Seriously, do you see any snow, folks? The only snow that I could see was on our sidewalk, not even the driveway, just the sidewalk...and not very much at all. But these industrious children scrape and raked and put it all together and here is what all their hard work resulted in.
There you have a couple dozen snowballs on the front step. With the amount of fun all of our girls were having in this winter wonderland, you'd have thought there were two feet of snow and school was out and reindeer were making snow angels under the persimmon tree.

I can only imagine how much fun they'd have if we were to get TWICE that much snow!

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Know what I loved? That you took these photos. :) xox

David said...

That amount of snow is perfect ha ha. I'm not a big fan of snow in large quantities... As long as it's somewhat snowy on Christmas, I'm good. :)

javamamma said...

Ahhh, that's so sweet. We got a tad more snow than that - my kids were out sledding down the small hill (mound of dirt) in our back yard.