"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Saturday, December 15, 2007

If You're Happy And You Know It...

[the events of the previous post took place back in 2000. So if you were hoping to drop by our home and see "Goliath", you're out of luck. But if you get your time machine working, give me a heads up.]

Growing up with artificial Christmas trees, I didn't really know how to care for real trees when our family went "live" several years ago.

I knew, of course, that you have to water them. But sure enough, I'd skip a day--one lousy day--and the tree would cross its arms, stomp it's feet, and go on a water strike for the rest of the season, dropping its needles just to get back at us.

This Christmas, we've had our tree for more than a week now, and IT'S STILL DRINKING that sweet nectar I'm feeding it from the tap. I get excited about simple things, and the fact that my tree is alive and well is enough to make me rent a billboard so I can tell the world.

So if your tree is dried up like a raisin, and you can't be friends with me anymore because of the jealousy that's consumed your black little heart, I'll be praying for you.

So that's the little thing bringing me joy this moment.

I'm kind of curious what minor detail this holiday season is making YOU giddy with delight.
(Coordinating wrapping paper? A deer on ice in the garage? Reduced-price cream cheese?)

7 comments:

beth said...

Okay, I had to chime in on this one. The thing that's bringing me joy today is the sweetest little surprise that my dear friend left in my mailbox yesterday...if you don't know about it ask Miss Cindy Lou what she did that made my day! I'm still smiling. You've got yourself a fabulous girl, ya know? She is such a good friend to me! Glad your tree is still green and happy. I want to see it!

Becky K. said...

Ritz Crackers smeared with peanut butter and dipped in Chocolate.
Becky K.

javamamma said...

I'm giddy with the fact that I didn't water our tree for 4 days and when I did finally remember - it drank it right up and no needles were dropped! Yay.

Emily said...

I'm happy that I can eat lots and lots and lots of Christmas sugar cookies and I'm in the middle of a strange new state...which means...

nobody to give them to. *Sigh* gotta eat them all up myself.

kari said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Sorry you missed out on the DVD giveaway...I'm planning on another movie giveaway after Christmas, so come back again.

I'm pretty excited that the Christmas pointsettia that I bought is still alive. I'm not especially good with plants and they rarely survive in my house for very long.

mrshoppes said...

Making peppermint bark with semi-sweet chocolate chips and my 2 year old being smeared in chocolate. People asked if she was eating/holding poop.

Jill said...

I may have to give my mom directions to your house! She "rescued" three trees just like the one in the picture from the DUMPSTER behind the WalMart in Jasper when I was in high school. She brought them home and decorated them as her "Charlie Brown" trees! Mortified, we were!! Simply mortified!