"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Toilet = Gift Card

Sometimes it's just so stinkin' hard to find the right gift for someone.

That's when you're tempted just to go out and buy a gift card. Then THEY can buy something.

But how fun is that? Not much.
Well, unless it's a really big gift card that can send someone on a shopping spree to end all shopping sprees. But I know you. You get $5, $10, $25, maybe $50 gift cards. Yes, it's a lot of money for many of us, but it's not like Cousin Enrique can now afford his Alaskan Cruise because of your generosity.

Here's a way to spice up the idea of a gift card, though, because I know you really wanted some more spice when it comes to giving people presents without actually giving them any presents.
If you want to give a gift card from a certain store, pass up the gift cards in the rack and go find something hideous for the price range you wanted to spend. The more horrifyingly inappropriate or unnecessary the better. Wrap it and give it to your loved one with the receipt. Then they can use it almost like a gift card. They simpy return it for cash or store credit and get whatever they wanted all along but were afraid to ask for.
My brother and sister-in-law got me a toilet last year. It may have taken a while for some family members to understand why I had received a toilet. I wasn't remodeling or anything. I'm hoping this becomes a tradition like a white elephant gift exchange...except these actually have value and be returned for real money, unlike that plastic cactus in the Buddha planter.

Great Gift Ideas to Return

* Toilet
* Legging or tights (for a guy)
* Pet Turtles
* Hairspray
* Bill Cosby Sweaters (you know what I'm talking 'bout)
* Cutlery
* Shutters

Merry Christmas!
And friends, be sure to click here and vote for my funny wife (a.k.a. StillHisGirl) for "Funniest Homeschool Blogger." You can only vote once per computer maybe, so have your spouse vote at work, break into your neighbors, whatever it takes!

15 comments:

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

That's hysterical!

The Not Quite Crunchy Parent said...

way too funny! Great idea

Robotface Shumway (Big Doofus) said...

Awesome idea. I went right out to the pet store this morning and bought the turtle. I put him in a box and wrapped it up nice and tight. Miss Sniz will be so surprised--plus, it will be the first gift under the Christmas tree. I can't wait to see the look on her face in 13 days when she opens up the box with the pet turtle inside.

Thea said...

LOL! That is one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time. My father in law is a big gift card giver. I may have to mention this to him...

Tyna said...

LOVE the idea! I'm so going to have to try it!

eric said...

That's fantastic! I think I'll give that a try this year! haha

Playful Professional said...

That's a great idea. The only problem is that most of the time I buy gift cards because shipping gifts costs so much! Any suggestions for shipping a toilet for as much as a gift card :)

Kathleen Marie said...

I am still laughing.... That was fabulous!

Mr. E said...

Good Idea I'm going to get my brother-in-law a copy of a book I saw called, "How to Get Along With your Father-in-Law (my wife's father). He will trade that one in, in a hearbeat!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! I love the idea!

Dawn
http://dawn.homeschooljournal.net/

Rebecca said...

That's a riot! I vote "yes."

Pieces said...

Ha! Good idea!

Marie said...

When I go to Target in January to spend my gift cards and see the long line at the returns counter I will know just who to blame. ;)

Angela said...

I totally love LOVE love this idea!

Pam Hawk said...

Oh, you get a gold star for this one. I'm going to give everyone Bill Cosby sweaters and 25# bags of dog food for birthdays this year!!
Thanks!
(That's only because my family has already had too many of my plates.)