"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Thursday, January 17, 2008

I Was Going To Ask For Your Advice

Now that we've redone our office/school room, it's time to upgrade our printer from the old model which is just a step up from an Etch-A-Sketch.

I thought I'd ask our friends out in Cyberinternetoblogoland about the printers they use and like.

We're photohounds, so we'd love to have one that prints decents photos. With school work, we also think it would be cool to be able to photocopy some worksheets and other items. And I'm a moron, so I need one that's easy to use.

Anyway, my impatience got the best of me, and I just ran out and bought us a nifty little Kodak 5500 with some Christmas money and gift cards.

If you have one of those and love it, let me know. If you have one and you hate it, keep it to yourself; I don't want to have buyer's remorse until I've at least used up all the free paper that came with my purchase.


So you can be excited about our purchase, I thought I'd show you a few of the photos that we're going to be eager to print right away. You may have seen some of these before here on the blog or on my wife's blog:
I was killin' time this morning and drew this nice picture to illustrate my mission trip fundraising endeavors. I just added it to that post, but since many of you have already read it, I put the drawing here for you to still enjoy.Don't even bother trying to email me to obtain this woman's contact info. I don't know her...nor do I want to.
The kiddie margaritas were the best!

Yes, even I have my serious side.

This summer, when I take my whole family to Mexico to build a house, little blonde girls will outnumber the brunettes for a change.

Back to the printer: one thing I'm curious about is if anyone has plugged in a Bluetooth wireless adapter to that printer and used it from a wireless laptop or desktop. I hate wires.

9 comments:

javamamma said...

No help here. My husband's the techy and um, he's still asleep right now. Hope you like your kodak though. I'm curious about your wife's new camera - it's clarity is amazing. And I've got one on my wish list. :)

Tim said...

We've had good success with HP's All-in-One line of printers. Here's hoping you got a good deal on the printer, since the cost of the ink cartridges will probably require you to indenture yourself to the local Costco.

Although our printer is capable of producing some decent photo prints, mostly we use Costco, or lately Snapfish for prints -- it is hard to beat their prices, when you factor in the paper, ink, etc.

Tim said...

Oh, by the way, I really liked your fundraising graphic. At first I thought it was one of those thermometer-type graphics, showing that you have already raised more than half of the money needed for the mission trip.

Then I saw the spigot and realized that the red was symbolizing your recent blood and plasma donation efforts. With the red going OUT of you, not coming in, I worried about how your brain was getting by without any blood.

I guess it's Friday ... who needs to think on a Friday?

Emily said...

Between that blood guy and your hamster pic. You could be a graphic artist. I'm serious.

and I hate all printers. All the time. We've had many and even the expensive ones tick me off.

good luck w/ yours though. (not to sound shrillish)

Go hug your wife for me. I just love her and she's just such a good friend. Can't believe I've only met her once. crazy.

Liza's Eyeview said...

I do not have a recommendation, just want to let you know this post put a smile on my face this morning :)

carrie said...

LOL! I don't know but I would like to find one that I can use my laptop with as well ;)

Marmee said...

As a matter of fact, my husband just got a Lexmark Z1420 WiFi. And he has a laptop. Being a minister, he prints up a LOT of stuff and loves it so far.

We have a love/hate relationship with our HP that the man at the store said was great. I think he just wanted that little$10 kick back for the sale!! Sometimes it just doesn't work. The paper feed works very poorly. Other times it works just fine. Go figure.

Tech Daddy said...

We've had an HP 3310 All-in-one for a couple of years now and are happy with it. We have not done much photo printing, mainly because we're cheap and don't want to spend the money on the fancy paper. However, the pictures we printed with the sample photo paper that came with it look pretty good. It is fairly noisy though when it prints, but since it sits in the basement that's not a big deal.

It does scanning, copying, printing and faxing. It has a multi-format memory card reader. It has an optional attachment, which we have not purchased, that allows you to print double-sided, without the "let me flip the paper over and hope I get it going the right way" issues. It has an attachment that is supposed to let you scan slides and negatives, but we have not tried that yet.

It also has three connectivity options, which was a big draw. You can connect directly to it using USB, or you can connect it to the network using a wired Ethernet connection or a wireless Ethernet connection. Because it sits right next to my wireless router and because the built-in wireless does not support WPA2 encryption, I have chosen to connect it using a Ethernet cable. It works great that way. Our laptops are wireless which gives us the freedom to roam but to still print, scan, etc.

Sileena said...

Ok, so I'm really not much of a computer know it all however, I do know that wireless networking is the way to go if you want to print from your laptop to your printer and my husband, knowing how much i hate wires, has acoomodated me with wireless interenet which works very nicely for wirelessly networking. I don't know how this is done but being the nice and very patient man that my husband is I'm sure you can email questions to me. Also, it seems relatively easy to me so that's saying something. nolanitesatroadrunnerdotcom