"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Chili Pepper (May 2006 - February 2008)

Dearly Beloved,

Thank you all for being here today. I know you each have personal stories of the way that "Pepper" touched your lives. If anyone would like to come to the microphone to share your memories of this dear, dear hamster, you may do so after we sing all 5 verses of “Just A Closer Run On The Wheel With Thee.”

We all react to death in different ways. One daughter sobbed for a long time. This was the one who discovered sweet Pepper unresponsive in the corner of her cage. The other daughters had a more composed response: “Does this mean we can get a dog now?”

My response? Scoop her lovingly into a Ziploc and place her in the freezer in the garage until the service. (Yes, I was actually able to get to the freezer. That’s one path we make sure is clear in the garage. We may not be able to get to the cars, but the freezer is not optional. When you need some Totino’s pizza rolls, you don’t want to have to climb through the obstacle course of death.)

Well, Pepper lived a good, long life. Hamsters may live about 2 years, and we could tell by her graying fur that her time was nearing the end. She stayed strong to the very finish and brought joy in the way only a hamster can. We’re all sad in our own ways, but we know that Pepper is in a better place. (Well, I suppose that technically a Ziploc bag next to some frozen fajita meat is a step down from her three-story cage, but you understand the sentiment, I’m sure.)

I don’t have a current photo, but you may remember this charming pose when she was trapped in her tube.


We love you, Pepper.

7 comments:

javamamma said...

My condolences.

Big Doofus said...

Once again another incredible image. Your high tech skills with Paint are impressive. I know I've said it before. Sorry to be a broken record (but hopefully a good broken record).

Beth said...

I am having flashbacks of our own tragic hamster demise. Needless to say yours sounds much less upsetting than ours was. Ah, a story for another day. Please offer your daughters my condolences and get ready to pick out that puppy!

Nicole Hearn said...

The whole process sounds very traumatic.....the grieving process in an of itself is enough for me to resolve to never get a hamster.

Marmee said...

Oh, do I hear the pitter patter of puppy paws on the Pergo??

Sorry to hear about the hamster, esp. for your youngest. Those are sad times. We haven't had a dear beloved pet leave us yet. I hope our dear little doggie lives to a ripe old age and the kids are out of the house when she croaks!!

mylittleducks5 said...

My hamster as a kid was perfectly placed in a velveeta box and buried in our yard. So if you need a good coffin it's just the right size. Good-Bye Pepper
:>Michelle
@HSB SeekingJesusnTeachingKids

Sniz said...

So are you going to replace her?

BD keeps going on and on about your stellar artistic abilities AND YOU ONLY USE MICROSOFT PAINT!!! He's right...and I am seriously impressed.