"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Friday, February 22, 2008

Happy Snow Day To You

Ahhhh...

I woke up early in the morning and looked outside to see the earth blanketed with a beautiful layer of ice and snow. It was not so much that it would keep someone from running to the store to stock up on cookies and sushi and other necessities, but just the right amount to keep school buses off the roads. Our first true Snow Day of the year.

I planned ahead, anticipating this might be the case. Before I went to bed last night, I turned off my daughters’ alarm clock. Last week when there was a 2-hour delay, our extra 2 hours of sleep was disturbed by that blasted thing going off at 6:30.

I also left the computer on the website for school closings so I could quickly wake up in the night and hit “refresh” to see if heaven was indeed coming down to earth in the form a snow day.
Then I set the TV to record the news in the morning starting long before I awoke so I could easily do some fast-forwarding or rewinding to catch the weather scoop should I have that desire.

The key to enjoying a snow day is to wake up early enough to find out if school is canceled. If you wake up too close to your normal waking time, you risk STAYING awake, and that is plain nonsense. There is no need for that in my life right now. However, if you wake up at least an hour or two too early, your body has a much easier time going back to sleep for 6 more weeks of winter.

About 5:00 a.m., I awoke and checked the computer and saw the glorious news. Then I shared that news with the daughter who usually gets up first since she’s likely to get up and get ready with or without the alarm clock. On the day of the previous 2-hour delay, she’s so responsible, she didn’t view it as 2 extra hours to sleep and rest up. She hopped out of bed and had two extra hours to tackle the day. Why don’t 3rd graders recognize the importance of sleep? How long before they start wanting to take naps again?

Anyway, the plan worked superbly. Everyone slept in. We woke up late and were pokey for a while after getting up. Leisurely shower. A little breakfast. Some talk about the fun to be had on a snow day.

And then it hit me…SCHOOL’S canceled, not WORK!
UGH.

12 comments:

Emily said...

work may still be on, but it's not like there's a lot of people here or anything!!

Big Doofus said...

I had already planned on staying home to work today, anyway. I got up around 7:00 and didn't hear from anyone else until after 9:00.

But we're also still dealing with that stupid stomach flu going around. So far, 4 out of 5 have had it. I feel like a ticking time bomb.

Emily said...

You're a genius. Shutting off all the alarm clocks is key. But I have a kid like you do, who jumps up at 6am (7 am if he's been drugged). That was brilliant to tell HER to keep on sleeping.

and you couldn't get off of work for one stinkin' day? Man, those pastors are slave drivers.

Mr. E said...

Snow, what is Snow? It's been so long (3 years) since we had a decent snow in my part of Texas. At least my work is at a school. If the public schools in the area close down so does my work. My wife's job also closes when the schools close. We are lucky in that respect, but it doesn't happen often enough. Bummer for you.

burning4eternity said...

Yesterday it was 40 degrees with about 8.5 hrs of glorious sunshine here in Interior Alaska. You would have thought it was 80 ad we were at Miami beach the way my kids darted out the door as soon as school was over. They were not seen or heard from again dark. Granted, 40 ABOVE zero was a record for the day. it is supposed to be -20 over the weekend which is a bummer as the World Ice Art Championships are about to begin.

Scott, I love your blog. Great content.. I love the heart you have your kids and wife.

Where was the plastic bowl for the upchuck??

javamamma said...

I love snow days. Too bad they don't carry over in the work world - sorry.

MLW said...

I am SO jealous!

FabTheMayor said...

Ah, the joys of being a teacher. When school's cancelled, work IS cancelled : )

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

I wish you had snow days off, too.

hulagirlatheart said...

They don't start wanting naps again until their adults. In fact, that's how you know they've become adults.

hulagirlatheart said...

They're...not their. Arrrg.

Sniz said...

I know Cindy's looking forward to the END of snow days and the beginning of warm days!