"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Joy Of Shredded Paper

I'm sitting here looking at three trash cans in my office.

One is for regular trash, not to be confused with my desk, which only appears to be covered with nothing but trash.

One is for recycling.

The third one has a paper shredder attached to the top of it. Every time that it fills up and I have to empty it (into the recycling can), I dream of all kinds of uses for shredded paper besides just throwing it away.

Once you think about it, it really does make sense to go out and buy a paper shredder solely for the following purposes:

1.) Home-made confetti. Put colored paper or envelopes or magazines through and you have a virtual party in a can!

2.) It makes great packing material. No more of those nasty packing peanuts. Careful, though. If you have one of those criss-cross shredders the pieces are so small that the people who receive your package will no longer be your friends because it will take them 4 days to clean up the mess from opening the box you sent.

3.) Long stringy hair for paper dolls.

4.) Any other ideas you can recommend?


Seriously, though, your kids can have a lot of fun shredding paper. Be sure to be responsible and oversee its use, especially with younger kids who are tempted to lick the blades or hem your curtains.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read in a magazine that during the winter, one mom took the shredded paper and put it in a little swimming pool and let her kids play in it (inside, of course!) They also loved "raking" it up with kids tools.

javamamma said...

Yippee - fun times!

Gayle said...

That's really very clever to use it for packing paper. I will use that..

Stretch Mark Mama said...

And then there's MY boys, who rummage through my Important Papers, shred them with their hands, and either a) stuff the end tables full or b) throw the confetti, fully expecting the "maid" to clean it up.

diXymiss said...

I thought I was the shredder queen (gift basket filler, packing material, etc.), but you've got me beat with the paperdoll hair! ThanX for the tip. I'll be looking at my beloved shredder with renewed eXpectations...

Beth said...

When our cat had to have surgery on it's front paw our vet said not to use regular kitty litter in his box as it could get under the bandage and into the incision. I couldn't figure out what I was going to do until I saw the paper shredder next to the closet we keep his litter box in. I filled the box with shredded paper and it worked great! The cat used his litter box with no problem and as long as I changed the paper every day and rinsed out the box, there was no smell.

Kara said...

Okay, saw your name was Scott and that you had a post about shredded paper and I had to check and make sure you weren't my husband who started a blog without telling me:) We also use it in our compost pile. Of course if you do that you can not shred magazines or any sort of plastic windows that may be on envelopes. But my husband loooovees to shred anything within reach of the shredder!

Marmee said...

I want a shredder now.....sounds like fun. I don't have a cat, so I miss out on the kitty litter fun, but I could tape paper hair on my husband.

Aren't they sorta cheap?

hulagirlatheart said...

As much as I enjoy shredding paper, I have to say bubble wrap is still more fun...big bubbles...the really big ones that pop loudly. Oh yeah.

alaska1 said...

Being in Alaska, I say that shredded paper, especially the long stringy kind makes GREAT fire starter. I fondly remember getting my eyebrows roasted from such a fire that my father said, "works good last long-time".

Side note to confetti- When my wife wife and I arrived back from our honeymoon a day or two early 15 years ago, our friends somehow noticed we were back. In the middle of the night, they sneaked in our car, filled the air intake vents with multi colored confetti and turned the fans on high. The next morning as we went to leave, we started the car and POOF.. confetti everywhere. THAT, dear internet friends was the BEST use for shredded material!

Iris Flavia said...

OUTCH! Tongue-shredder doesn´t seem like fun... Reminds of my bro who bit his tongue so much so it had to be sewed together with three stitches. Plus he got an "SPEAK CLEARLY!!!!" from me (before I learned what happened to the those days 6 yo...)

Laurie said...

I usually either compost it or use it to mulch the garden. For looks I generally layer cut grass on top. Once in awhile we find a bird's nest with strips of bank statements woven in.

Thom S. said...

Wow you have quite a bit of uses for shredded paper, but I wanted to chime in. I recently wrote a blog entry on using the shreddings in with the compost pile. I put several links in that article that can be beneficial to others who want to use it in their compost. Anyone know what size is the best size to use for shredding paper? Should you use a crosscut paper shredder or a strip cut shredder?

Thanks.