"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Saturday, February 9, 2008

Lip Service

I fancy myself to be a student of life.

I don't necessarily know what that means, but it makes me sound like a thinker or something, and I'd so much rather think than do.

-----
My wife and I have been leading a class using video materials from our friends at Love and Respect. It really is enlightening, and I can whole-heartedly recommend the book (and conference if it comes within a 7-day drive from where you live).

It's been some of the first material I've seen that validates men and what we need--which incidently is more than just s*x. Author and speaker Emmerson Eggerichs does a good job of explaining the stupid guy stuff that marriages need. With the help of Oprah and many others, our society has done a great job of explaining what women need, but we've blown off the guys' needs because they seem ridiculous and un-mushy.

We need respect, some free time and space, things to fix, things to break. These are NEEDS, folks, not just crazy ideas.

While we were watching a video segment this week with the class, the men were fixated on the material because E.E. was sharing stuff that we wish we'd been able to articulate for our wives for years.

During the video, guess what I learned that women need? Lip moisturizer. I speak truth.

I didn't learn this from the video, just during the video.

Right in the middle of the best stuff, one friend pulled a little tube of lip moisturizer out of her purse. (Marriage videos are notorious for drying the lips.) She applied it and then offered it to the woman next to her. I watched a mini-lipfest take place as other onlookers suddenly realized their lips were also in dire need of hydration (my wife included).

I'm sure various comments were shared about what the product was, how much it cost, how to procure it and, my goodness, how great it makes my lips feel!

A Tupperware party almost broke out. You women are so cute sometimes.

10 comments:

THE OTHER HUSE said...

This is hilarious! (as usual)

Don't forget the gum. If a woman pulls a pack of gum out of her purse, she'll offer everyone else a piece, even if that means she'll go without. Then she'll say "oh, it's no big deal, I have more" and when all the mouths are full of her gum, she'll pull out another 50-pack.

Anonymous said...

This is so funny! I'll let you in on a little secret, us women need the lip stuff during these meetings because we begin to realize the truth about our men causing us to lick, lick,and lick somemore due to be confronted with the truth :) I will be the first to confess that we need all the help we can get figuring you guys out.

Oh, and for the record, I found you from a comment your wife left on Mary's blog. I couldn't resist checking you out.

Marie said...

You are one funny guy - no kidding! And yes we need lip balm because we lick our lips when we are listening. I have been known to whip out cherry ChapStick in church. Evidently listening to the sermon dries out my lips also.
And I wasn't one bit offended about the Tupperware party comment!!! LOL

Hugs,
Marie

AMANDA said...

I have several friends who have admitted to being addicted to chapstick. I wonder if there is a 12 step program for that? Maybe combined with Tupperware?

Mr. E said...

My wife and took the video course of Love and Respect from the Eggerich's. We loved it!

My wife claims that women don't drink enough water, that's why they lick their lips so often.

I have that same bad habit, and I carry around a tube of chapstick with me. I just don't offer any to my guys friends. In fact I don't offer any of my gum to my guy friends either.

Emily said...

I have a daughter who will cry. REALLY cry if she can't find some chapstick when she deems it necessary.

She gets a sad little look on her face which turns to horror when she can't find some.

yeah, we're cute that way.

Gayle said...

Oh Scott, I'm so glad to hear that your education on women is now complete.

Chris and I went to one of EE's seminars it was radical. (not radical as in totally rad dude, but radical as in life changing) VERY cool that you guys are spreading the message.

Gayle said...

I just started reading Love & Respect and have heard nothing but rave reviews about it.
I am a SERIOUS chapstick freak. My worst time for needing it is when I am driving...who knows?
I am a gum hoarder though. I don't like to share unless someone is breathing their dragon breath on me and a way of escape isn't looking likely.

Big Doofus said...

Women use Chapstick and lip gloss.

Men use Carmex--the kind in the plain white round container with the yellow lid--not the new-fangled tube for the lady folks. That's how we roll.

Scott, I'm with you. I love to watch the women this way. I have two daughters who both love Chapstick. They each have to have a tube by their beds at night.

Monica said...

Sean would find this so interesting.

I do not need chap stick, but lotion. I always need lotion with me or by me. Especially at night. There must be lotion and a glass of water that I will never drink. Just because. In case I would need it there would be nothing worse than lying there all dried up with no one to help me.

It makes perfect sense to me.