"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Wednesday, February 13, 2008

So Much Art, So Few Fridge Magnets

Remember that time you picked up a Picasso original at that garage sale?


You hung it up your fridge door where it remained for more than a few months. Then you kind of got tired of being stared at by that lady's three eyes. Plus, the nose on the side of her head was more than a little disconcerting every time you went to fetch a Go-gurt. (If you aren't familiar with Go-gurts, I s'pose that'll be a whole other post.)

So you threw Picasso away to make room for some of Monet's haystacks.

Only the artists weren't really Picasso and Monet; they were your 3 year old and 6 year old respectively. And instead of the abstract 3-eyed lady and some haystacks; they were a fingerpainting recreation of your Christmas in Vermont and a rather unflattering macaroni version of you on the beach.

Of course, these works of art are precious because of your relation to the young artists. But then, so are the other 5 gazillion masterpieces churned out daily.

Perhaps your attic, crawl space and spare bathroom are already stacked floor to ceiling with all the old artwork, and you know you CAN'T throw any away. After all, the last time you threw that popsicle creation away, your daughter cried for days. (The day after that, incidentally, was when you changed from clear/white trash bags to opaque black ones...secondary WFMW idea.)

Here's my plan, start photographing all the artwork with our digital camera. Then I can have it on the computer as wallpaper or a screensaver.

I can also go to a publishing site like blurb.com or that kodak place or any number of other bookmaking sites and have a small book printed of their art, complete with titles for each piece as well as captions detailing the artist, the medium and a description of what articles of clothing were ruined in each piece's creation.

The book can last forever and sit on your coffee table, able to be enjoyed by all those guests who drop in for high tea.

And the original artwork? You're not a bad parent if you throw it away or send it through the shredder. Just don't leave incriminating evidence for your young ones to find. Do I even have to mention that?
--------------------------
For more Works For Me ideas this week, head over to Mel at Don'tTryThisAtHome (but normally hosted at rocksinmydryer. Evidently it's hard to host a carnival of ideas while in Uganda, they need to beef up their internet infrastructure or sumpin').

13 comments:

Phyllis Sommer said...

this is a great post. i paste a lot of it up in our basement stairwell -- it brightens it up. i take pictures of the big stuff that i just don't want around (glitter, dioramas, etc)and so far that works well...someday i'll make the book too!

~Mary~ 4boys4me said...

LOL! very cute post and a great idea!

Jessie's Attic said...

I do this and it is fabulous! But I haven't thought about printing the books before! That is wonderful and would make great gifts for the grandparents also!

Thank you!

Kathy in WA said...

Look at you, Number 6 on this week's Works for Me Wednesday! What a guy.

Can we say we knew you when...?

I have a friend who put up some gorgeous frames and then rotated her children's artwork monthly. The frames went with her decor and made the room look decorated and pretty, the artwork was whimsical and meaningful.

Lots of great ideas! Thanks.

Duckabush Blog

Mommy Cracked said...

How refreshing to see a Daddy Blog! And I love this idea. I'm slowly becoming that mommy with ALL the artwork everywhere. This is something I could definitely give a try.

jenuinejen said...

Great idea. I just setup an account with Artsonia last week to try to keep up with my children's artwork. http://www.artsonia.com/ I really like the idea of turning it into a book with blurb or similiar.

Annette said...

I have resorted to placing Maddie's artwork that I don't desire to keep underneath other papers in the trash can. Otherwise, she asks why I threw her precious paper away, and I must bluff, "Why, how in the world did that get in there?"

JAM said...

Hey, that's a great idea. We have boxes of the girl's school papers and "art."

Andrea said...

I do the same thing, but never thought of making a book. What a great idea! I think my kids would love to have one as much as their grandparents would. Thanks for sharing!

Marmee said...

Great idea. Now I just need to sift through the 80 gazillion pictures in my inbox on my desk and pick the ones I like best. OH, no, I love them ALL!!!

GiBee said...

Totally an awesome tip! Photographing it and making it into a book is so easy, too! Especially for oversized art... or 3-d art made out of sugar cubes!

javamamma said...

We started with the digital saving last year when I realized how much art work a public school child will bring home in a week....times 3. My house will never be big enough. But photos, on a computer? I can handle that!

forgetfulone said...

Great idea! I don't think I would every have thought to do that.