"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The JamBag Will Alter Your Life

(Note: there are two posts today. This one is for intelligent, practical people who wish to make the world a better place. The previous one is for the rest of you.)

You’re on a road trip with the kids.
You’re cheap.
You have jam in a zip-loc bag.
You cut a hole in the corner.
You squeeze it out onto a piece of bread for a sandwich.
You’ve saved precious time and money on your trip.
You’re welcome.

-----------------------
My wife was skeptical when I introduced her to the Jam Bag on our North Carolina trip this month. I don’t blame her; after all, the idea came out of my mouth.

Because I like to be efficient (lazy), it pains me to have to make too many stops on a road trip.
It also pains me to see my wife balancing all the makings for PB&J sandwiches on her lap while we’re driving.

So beforehand, we bought some jam at the store. I feel it is important to use JAM not JELLY. Jelly is much more chunky and coagulated and less likely to come out smoothly. I have no idea what the difference is between the two besides texture. If, for some reason, jam is made of nasty ingredients or by using immoral practices, I recommend just dealing with it and buy the jam anyway.

Then stuff a bunch of it into a Ziploc bag and get excess air out of there before sealing it. Next, double bag it…or triple. The last thing you want is jam all over everything in your cooler or picnic basket. I guess, if you know you’re not going to have scissors or a laser cutter available in the car at the time of sandwich preparation, you might want to pre-cut the corner of the JamBag before placing it inside the second/third bag.

Someone out there is going to comment and mention that they actually MAKE and SELL jelly or jam in squeezable bottles. Please, let us not forget that I am cheap.

Theoretically, you could also do this with peanut butter. It’s a little thicker and gooier, but I bet it could be done. You might just want to be sure to use heftier freezer bags.

I guess you could do the same with mayonnaise, yogurt, applesauce, mashed potatoes, paint, blood or other viscous material.

Again, you’re welcome,

and Happy JamBagging to you all.

10 comments:

fromthenarrows said...

thats a great idea.
Susan

rachel said...

I just discovered your blog through random stalking, er, surfing, and I just wanted to comment and let you know that I LOVE IT. Keep it up!

Jenny said...

What a great idea!! And, I agree that jam is much better than jelly!! I'll definitely be doing some JamBagging this summer!

javamamma said...

We're contemplating a 30+ hour road trip sometime this year - I'll keep this in mind. :)

rthling said...

I agree that jam is much better in texture that jelly. It is also easier to spread, for the days you are at home and not in need of a jambag.

Emily said...

you know...that's genius. Hate to say it Cindy...your man is up there w/ Einstein!

Annette said...

CHEAP SKATE! Ok, so clever idea, but what about this one? Actually make the sandwiches B4 you leave the house...that's what us smart folks did, put them in the cooler and wah..la...lunch!

ET said...

This is the best idea since sliced bread! I have tears rolling down my face, and I'm sure my husband will INSIST on attempting the 'jam bag' for our upcoming vacation. LOL!

Anonymous said...

too funny. looks like something my pastor would do. he's cheap too. super cheap! I'll have to pass your post along to him!
thanks for sharing your ingenious ideas (laugh)
julie
www.homeschoolblogger.com

Tammy said...

3 words: Peanut Butter Slices

http://www.pbslices.com/index.html

Too bad you didn't come up with that brilliant idea. I suggest an immediate phone call to the US patent office for the JamBag!