"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Sunday, March 23, 2008

Naps Aren't Just For 36 Year Olds, Ya Know

When my lovely bride asked me what I wanted for my birthday (which was Saturday), I insisted that all I needed was a nap. Sweet, sweet rest.
I really don't need anything else. After all, there is still a half-block of Velveeta in the fridge.

Well, Saturday was also Easter Eve at our church. We had a big egg hunt with hundreds of kids, lots of resurrection activities, as well as two church services. I preached at one of those. Needless to say, there was probably not a nap to be had on my actual birthday. That's o.k., because I'm just not picky about specific days and such. Sunday was coming, and after 4 more services (big church, small worship center), I was absolutely certain the nap was coming and would be a balm to a weary soul indeed.

I am pleased to report that my birthday nap lasted about 3 hours and was as refreshing as any nap should be. I awoke to find a note from the children saying, "we'll be outside if you need us." How thoughtful.

But in addition to my nap, a block of Colby/Jack cheese (which, by the way, I would have named my son if I had one), an outdoor game, and a pair of Crocs, I also received the following written message inside a hand-made card from Brynne:

"Happy Birthday daddy
I hope you had a good time being 36 cas you are 37 now. I now I had a good time wen you wer 36. But you 37 now so say good by thows days are over. So have a good year being 37."

Yes, Brynne, 36 was awesome. And you've given me every reason to believe that 37 will be even better.

But just to be sure, I better sleep on it.

12 comments:

Jenny said...

Happy, happy Birthday!

FabTheMayor said...

Happy Birthday! Naps should be on the agenda every weekend : )

David said...

Happy 37th, my friend. Sounds like it was a good one!

Tammy said...

Happy Birthday and to celebrate with you I took a Sunday nap too. What can I say, 39 year olds need naps too. Especially when they will be 40 next month!

Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindy-Still His Girl said...

"I know I had a good time when you were 36." Me, too. :)

mom huebert said...

Happy Birthday! And I just love that note from your daughter...

Emily said...

She's an awesome encourager...that little girl of yours.

MInTheGap said...

You give me good hope that 32 won't be so bad-- Here's hope 37 is as good as you believe it will be!

And kids grow up too fast!

Kathy in WA said...

Happy (late) Birthday!

JustAnotherBlogger said...

Mmmmmm...Colby Jack...definitely a strong name!

Happy Birthday!

JillonLeightonLane said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! I never knew that we were born 2 days apart!!! I turned 37 on Monday! Jacob told me this morning that I still looked 36! AND, that I looked taller!!! Then Maddie noted that I hadn't grown taller, it was just my 'bed head' sticking up higher than usual!! (She's always the spoiler!)