"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Friday, March 21, 2008

WHY?

Why? Ever since God first made man, people have been asking that question.
The asking of that question (and its partner “why not?”) has led to incredible scientific discoveries and advancements.

Why does it rain?
Why do objects fall down?
Why does the sun rise and set?
Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

I know WHY we celebrate Easter: Because Jesus died, and then he arose.
But WHY did he die, and WHY did he rise again?

I keep finding that each answer I give only leads to more questions. We’re made that way. It’s just like when you answer a child’s WHY question, it only leads to a gazillion more:
“It’s time for bed.”
“Why?”
“Because you need to go to sleep.”
“Why?”
“Because your body needs about 8 hours of sleep every day.”
“Why?”
“Because that’s the way God made you.”
“Why?”
“Because He’s very smart and knew exactly what you’d need.”
“Why?”
“Because He’s God.”
“Why?”
“Because He just IS.”
“Why?”
“Because He was elected through a system of party delegates and a convention and series of primaries and caucuses and…”


If you start using big enough words, they may become disinterested and wander off picking their noses. Sometimes they really do want to know the honest-to-goodness answer to questions. Other times they just enjoy that you’re talking to them and that you’re letting what’s in your brain drip into theirs.
(Of course, there are some kids who do it intentionally to drive you absolutely bonkers. To those, you should just reply with, “That’s a great question. Since you’re obviously interested in the subject, let’s sit here and read a 570-page pictureless book about the matter, and afterwards I can give you a brief test to see if you understand it fully.)

Back to the issue of WHY Jesus lived and died and rose again…
I’m just going to boil it down to the following words of Jesus:

“I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” (John 10:10)

1. Through his ministry, his miracles and his teaching, Jesus brought life to so many. His message of love, hope and peace improved our quality of life and gave us a reason to live. The spill-over effect of a life that is full is that it impacts the lives around it so that the whole world can be changed.

2. In his death, Jesus gave us life. By being the sacrifice that took on the punishment we each deserve, he made it possible to hope for eternal life after all.

3. And because of his resurrection, we not only can HOPE for eternal life, but we can KNOW it’s real. In case anyone was still doubting, the resurrection proved that this is a God who has power over death and can freely give us life everlasting.

Everything that Jesus did was so that YOU might have life, and have it to the full!

THAT’S why we celebrate Easter.
THAT’S why we buy chocolate goodies and fill silly plastic eggs and dress up and go to church and cook and eat.
THAT'S why I get out of bed in the morning and do any of the things I do. (Meaning, because of life through Christ. I didn't mean to make it sound like I live for chocolate bunnies and spiral-cut ham and such.)

Happy Easter, and may you have life to the full, now and forever!

7 comments:

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Loved this post.
And I'm glad you are part of my "full" life. :)

Annette said...

Very succinct! I totally get it now...:-)

javamamma said...

Great post! Happy Easter to you and your lovely clan of women!

Big Doofus said...

We having spiral cut bunny tomorrow for lunch. They're really hard to get, but they really make the holiday special.

Ok, seriously, we just made resurrection cookies with the kids and talked about the resurrection. We are looking forward to reflecting on it tomorrow.

mrshoppes said...

Amen and Amen!

Emily said...

That verse was spot-on. Missed that humor of yours during my bloggy absence btw.

Easter is my favorite holiday. Always has been. WHY? It's not the chocolate, or the family stuff (uh,not in the slightest), or the baskets or anything.

It's that every Easter I get this huge swell of emotion that is so huge that I can hardly contain it. It's in my heart and depending on what church we're attending....it comes out in various ways. It's just a total....I love you JESUS day.

can I get an Amen?

MInTheGap said...

Great presentation of the Gospel. I think I get lost in apologetics so much that I forget the love. thanks for the reminder.

You're right about children always wanting to know why (though sometimes I'm sure it's a stalling tactic!).