"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Because You'd Be Upset If I DIDN'T Tell You

I hope I didn't freak anyone out by showing too much of my sensitive side yesterday.

Since I'm already in the mood, I might as well continue with the mushy stuff.

If you're familiar with such movies as "Steel Magnolias" and "Beaches," then you'll understand why it might be difficult for me as a man to admit that I've cried at each of those...more than once. I have to pace myself, so I'm due to watch one of those in 2010, the other 2017.

If you like a good, emotional bit of entertainment, then there's a TV show I need to clue you into. I missed the first season, so I had to catch up on DVD's that I got from the library after waiting weeks and weeks for my turn in line.
Then I also got seasons 2 and 3 on DVR and pretty much watched each episode and became a little more than overly-emotionally involved.

It's starting its new season this week, and I really don't know how I'll sleep between now and then. My nerves are worked up to a froth.

It has the political intrigue of "The West Wing" as well as the highs and lows of plain old daily living. There is romance, betrayal, courage, life-threatening illnesses. There are children torn from parents and tearful reunions. There are estranged sons and repentant fathers. There are heart-wrenching life and death decisions that keep you awake at night wondering what YOU would have done. Displaced refugees long for a new and safe home. There is faith; there is doubt.
But there is hope, a lot of hope.

I think "Battlestar Galactica" starts again on Friday at 10/9 Central on SciFi.

Seriously, even though it happens in space, it could just as easily take place in this world. When I saw a special on it this week that included folks like Brad Paisley singing its praises, I knew there might be a chance that my wife could love it too. I don't think there's been a single goofy green alien, so that helps make it more real and accessible to normal people like you and me.

My recommendation? Don't try to catch it in the middle. Go get season 1...right now. The opening 4 episodes of that first season are possibly among the most incredible hours of television ever made (Sorry Hannah Montana). I teared up more than once in those opening episodes alone.

If anyone else out there is a fan, I'd love to hear. The rest of you can just make fun of me until you watch it. Then you can thank me publicly on this blog.

Oh, and just to prove how much of a tv-aholic I am, I think you'll be getting my "American Idol" recap right after tonight's show. Two TV posts in one day; I need a life.

7 comments:

burning4eternity said...

ABSOLUTELY BSG ROCKS! don't forget about Razor (the 2hr movie of The Pegasus ship) or the webisodes of the Resistance.

I can't believe there will only be 4 seasons.. but I agree, there aren't many comparisons!

My wife loves it too!

Emily said...

you already know of my love for BSG...but we no longer have t.v. I wonder how long I'll have to wait for bootleg episodes to pop up on the internet. that is my fervant hope.

Stretch Mark Mama said...

BIG fans. HUGE fans. And we've now moved and no longer have the Sci-Fi channel.

[Insert weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.]

Our only hope is that the episodes will be online. Won't that be cozy, cuddling up to the glow of the computer screen??

Tammy said...

I think my attention span is TOO short for BSG; however, I will be poised and ready for the American Idol recap!

Gayle said...

I was thoroughly convinced that my hubs got in touch with you to post this until...I saw these gals singing it's praises.....hmmmmm.
Mark may be thanking you BIG TIME.

Mr. E said...

So you highly recommend Battlestar Galactica from the Sci-Fi Channel. I watched a few episodes of this, but I caught it about halfway through season 2. I guess I need to add the past seasons to my Netflix list for next time I get a lot of time to catch up! I will have to watch Razor as well.

duckygirl said...

"Do you watch Battle Star Galatica? No? Then you're an idiot."

Dwight Schrute (The Office)

Haahhahahha