"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Check's In The Mail

I don't mean to brag, but we paid our taxes this morning. First thing. On the way in to work.

Yup. I hand-delivered the envelope to the post-mistress at the quaint little post office around the corner. I swear there was a glint of joy and delight in her eye as she received it, obviously thinking, "Sir, you are one heckuva responsible citizen getting this taken care of so early in the day."

To her, I say, "Thank you, ma'am" and "you're welcome."

Many times, it's been much later in the day that the check gets in the mail. But this year I took the bull by the horns and made it happen.

Well, I can't take all the credit. After all, my wife emailed me yesterday and instructed me, "Do whatever you need to do to get taxes sent in." So I will let her bask in the glory of this moment as well, because honestly, I had completely forgotten all about it till she reminded me.

Sure, I had done them online (I TOTALLY recommend Turbotax online; I don't mess with getting a CD or nuthin'), but I delayed mailing in my check until today because I wanted that 4 cents of interest my tax payment earned sitting in our account for the last few months.

I'm telling you, it's wise money management techniques like this that allow us to maintain the kind of lifestyle to which we have become accustomed.

9 comments:

Stretch Mark Mama said...

I sit in awe of your tax-paying glory.

mom huebert said...

Clearly, great minds think alike-- we put our taxes in the mail this morning also. The applause is deafening.

THEhooahwife said...

I grew up with my parent's frantically paying taxes at midnight on the 15th... I couldn't stand it!

DH and I normally get it all back (thank you kids!), so we file ours as soon as we get all the w2s and tax documents for the same reason that you mailed your check the last possible day... why let them earn interest on your money?

Good going man!
(and GREAT going to the little lady behind the man who actually made you do it!hehe =) )

Mr. E said...

We paid our taxes early this year. Already got the refund. Now where to spend it. Hmmmm, maybe for gas for the car.

Emily said...

Did I read that right? You had to pay? WAH? W/ 4 kidlets to deduct? I think maybe I read it wrong, or else you live on a trust fund or something...

Scott said...

Emily caught me. We did receive a refund for FEDERAL taxes wheb we filed those in January. It's the Indiana state government who had to wait until today to get their grubby little hands on our money.

javamamma said...

Glad you clarified on your income/outflow here in the comment section. I too was baffled. Not that it's any of our business. :) Anyways, congrats on getting that checked off your 2008 list of things to do!

Tim said...

You gotta just hate those States that don't care how many kids you have. When we lived in Michigan, I was always surprised that in spite of receiving a federal refund, I often owed on the State side.

Washington State legislators prefer the happy arrangement of really socking it to us via sales tax and fuel surcharges, so they don't even bother with an income tax. "Why go through all that messy paperwork," they chortle, "when we can collect much more than our due every time they buy or sell?"

These are times when it is very pleasant to have a large family and a recent mortgage, in spite of the obvious drawbacks to each. This year we actually got back more federal taxes than we paid, which is a new twist; I'm actually taxing the federal government (which comes as no surprise to my parents, who find me rather taxing). State and local government really cleaned my clock on property taxes, though, so in the final analysis, the government collectively came out ahead, as that classic song reminds us: "I fought the law and the law won."

Heather said...

BTW, "post-mistress" is an antiquated term. Female post masters nowadays prefer to be called post masters. Just thought you would want to know...