"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Saturday, April 12, 2008

Death By Breakfast: Stuffed French Toast

Welcome to my kitchen.
I'm so glad you've decided to join me here in the middle of my breakfast preparations.

We slept-in a little this morning, and since the whole family is here and we don't have to rush off to any activities, let's whip up something home-made and wholesome, shall we?

French toast sounds good, doesn't it? I'm glad you thought so. However, since it really wouldn't be worth blogging about regular french toast, let's throw in a couple of twists along the way.


For those of you who don't already know, "French Toast" refers to making bread healthier by coating it in eggs and frying it up. I'm sure you can extrapolate that French Fries are probably dipped in eggs(?), and French Dressing must be dipped in eggs, and you get a French Pedicure by..you guessed it...dipping your toenails in eggs.

At OUR house, we usually enhance all the healthy, eggity goodness of French Toast by serving it with gobs of butter that quickly melt and then sprinkling sugar on it which partially dissolves in the melted butter. But we understand that at other houses, you may prefer buying your sugar pre-dissolved in the form of maple-flavored high-fructose corn syrup. Whatever floats your boat.

Today, though, we're going gourmet with STUFFED French Toast.
(Oooooh. Ahhhhhhh.)

First, let's prepare our egg mixture. My Better Homes & Garden Cookbook says to beat 2 eggs and add 1/2 cup of milk. I used 4 eggs because we have a big family, and a full cup of milk. I took trigonometry (twice), so that conversion was easy for me to arrive at. I also normally throw in some vanilla and cinnamon for plain french toast. You can decide whether your Stuffed French Toast needs those addendums after you see what other flavors are at play in later steps.

What, you may ask, is this toast stuffed with?
I chose cream cheese and strawberry jam, because that's what I could find.
As you can see, this isn't so much a "stuffed" toast as much as it turns out to be a sandwich. I suppose if you happened to use that cool thick-sliced Texas toast, you could cut a pocket in it and truly stuff it. But buying that kind of bread in advance takes foresight, something we avoid. Please note the loaf of wheat bread in the back, because we are obviously very health-conscious.

Once the sandwich is put together, I shall now reveal the secret coating we'll cover the sandwich with before cooking.

Fruity Pebbles. Yup.
They're like Rice Crispies but with awesome fruit flavor...and sugar. After pouring some on a plate, you'll want to crush them with the bottom of a glass or a fist, your choice.
These next steps all happen pretty quickly, so take a deep breath and...

Dip that sandwich in the egg mixture. I let it soak on each side for several seconds, longer if the bread is particularly dry and parched. If your bread is incredibly fresh and soft, it may disintegrate. I'm sorry I don't have a table or chart to help with figuring out soaking times for you. Maybe you'll find something on the internet. Good luck.Tongs are very useful for keeping my skin away from the raw egg, but you could use a couple of forks or a rubber glove. Heck, you could even use your fingers, just don't run them through your hair until after either washing them or cooking them for a couple minutes.

Once the bread is good and wet it's ready to be plopped onto the crushed Fruity Pebbles which will stick to the eggy wetness. After coating both sides with the cereal, toss that puppy on the griddle or frying pan and cook it on both sides.

After making one of these delicious creations, you might just want to make several regular pieces of french toast as well. There is a slight chance that, if your kids are like mine, they won't even try this fancy schmancy stuff. That's all right. I enjoyed mine very much, thank you.

Yummmmm. Think you'd like some too?

If not, perhaps my wife's legitimate version will be more to your liking. Check it out here.

16 comments:

Big Doofus said...

Actually, stale or older bread is always the best choice for your French toast.

Jeni said...

That looks good! I would eat it, and I bet my girlie & hubby would, too.

Kitchen Scrapbook said...

I've always wanted to try stuffed French toast! Never thought of making it this easy by spreading cream cheese and jam between the slices! We're syrup fans around here, and butter!

First time I've been on your blog... gonna browse around a bit.

duckygirl said...

Since egg is supposed to be good for your hair, why wash your fingers first? Just run them through your hair as a sort of pre-treatment before your shower! :P

I think I was with you until the fruity pebbles step...I'm just not very adventurous. Glad you enjoyed it.

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

NASTY.

Tiffany said...

My morning sickness was easing up a bit, until I read this post.

Heather said...

Wow. I'm almost speechless at ... at... the grossness of fruity pebbles on french toast. Ick.

Stretch Mark Mama said...

Pioneer Woman would be proud. But you need to mention something about chaps next time.

Okay, maybe not.

javamamma said...

While that LOOKS fantastic, I'm not thinking it would be in my top 10 choices for breakfast.

Monica said...

Scott, that makes me sick to even look at it.

Tammy said...

Dude, I was so with you up until you busted out the Fruity Pebbles. I was completely unaware they still made those things....blech.

Beth said...

You are a French Toast visionary! I, unlike some of the other who have left comments, was not sure about this recipe UNTIL I saw the Fruity Pebbles! That is my all time favorite cereal. I could, if I let myself which I don't, eat a whole box in one sitting. Glad to see someone else likes them as much as I do!

Halfmoon Girl said...

I am SUCH a mean mom that I usually make my kids eat low sugar for breakfast- 3 out of 4 kids, so don't be too hard on me! You would be there HERO if I ever let them read this- which I won't, cause it would make me look bad and subject me to endless pleading for a fun breakfast, BUT take my word for it, you would be a HERO up here in Canada with this recipe.

Richard J said...

Looks mighty tasty to me. And don't worry about the naysayers. I'm sure people laughed at Graham Kerr and Julia Child at first.

The pioneers are always misunderstood...

Sharon Brumfield said...

My husband says that this might just taste good.
I am not sure about that--you did have me until the cereal became part of the recipe.

The Apron Queen said...

Late making my rounds. Sounds delicious and fun! Do stop by. I'll save you a plate of my Just Peachy Cobbler. :D

For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen, the home of Vintage Thingies Thursdays