"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Friday, April 18, 2008

I'd Only Give It A 5.3 For Artistic Interpretation

Cindy and I ate ate some sausage pizza late last night. And some humus and Wheat Thins.

This may have contributed to me waking up all night long and finally throwing in the towel about 4:30 a.m. I got up and watched the news, hoping to go back to sleep.

(I know. Riveting post so far. Hang on; the drama builds slowly.)

At 5:30, I was still wide awake and enjoying such powerful Indiana news stories as the reported UFO sightings near Kokomo. They had some cool night-vision video of lights and stuff, but the Air Force is reporting it was just some F-Somethings breaking the sound barrier. (Likely a cover-up?)

At 5:38, our house began to shake like the spin cycle had reached full tilt. However, I knew that, even though we do a lot of laundry, we don't do it until we have to, and nobody HAS to do laundry at 5:38 a.m. The dishes rattled in the cupboard, and every seam in the house and roof seemed to creak while a low rumble lasted for at least 30 seconds.

My first thought was UFO's of course, so I continued to watch the news to see how long it would take the Air Force to come up with another cover-up to throw us off the trail of those brain-sucking extraterrestrials.

Turns out it was just an earthquake, 5.4 magnitude, about 70 miles away. (Update: it's been downgraded to a 5.2. Now don't I feel silly for making this big a deal?)

We don't get that kind of action around here much, so you'll be happy to know that our local stations are pre-empting the Today show and Good Morning America in order to keep things local with this late-breaking news.

"The shaking woke me up," one caller claimed. "My bed shook and moved about two or three feet." Another person reported "several lamps" falling off stands and other such happenings.

These people were even farther from the center than us. While there was a good rumble and shake, I'm guessing there's some overdramatization.

Either that, or somebody has bedroom floors with a 30-degree slant to begin with and end tables and lamp stands built out of toothpicks.

I just wanted you to know that if word of a gaping hole created in the earth in southwest Indiana makes the news in YOUR area, don't worry about us. I was able to rescue our family from under the pile of bricks and debris.

16 comments:

THEhooahwife said...

Oh wow! That is kinda cool! I love it when God's creation shows it's strength and no one is hurt!

Matt Brown said...

I live in Indianapolis. I slept through the earthquake, but my wife and two daughters felt it. Our dog was so traumatized, she refuses to talk about it.

kari said...

We felt it here, too (near Louisville, KY). It woke me up and I just thought it was the wind. Then, it kinda creeped me out, because I felt like someone was walking around in my room (and I was home alone with the kiddos - hubby was on duty at the firehouse). One building in downtown Louisville has some damage, although not structural. The local news shows have been covering it for hours, showing that same building over and over and over.

carrie said...

LOL! Glad you were able to escape the rubble...

rachel said...

I was still fast asleep at 5:30 this morning (& most likely drooling), but one of my co-workers said it was felt up here in Detroit too!

mom huebert said...

Didn't feel a thing here in Nebraska. But then one time we were in KC when there was an earthquake, and we thought it was a semi driving past. Glad you managed to pull through...

Tammy said...

Phew, glad you folks made it out ok.
I experienced my first earthquake while in Japan last October. I thought I may have accidentally put a quarter in my bed in my sleep.

Hey, someone in Alabama would describe the earthquake like this:
"It sounded like a train...."
(always said when tornadoes or other natural disasters occur here)

Mr. E said...

Hear in East Texas we don't get many earthquakes. In fact we are supposedly way over due for one. We just have deal with an occasional tornado, or twisters/cyclones as some of you northerners call them. Sometimes we get what's left of a hurricane that hit the Texas or Louisiana coast.

Glad all is well with your family. I bet it was scary but cool at the same time.

javamamma said...

Wow, that's pretty cool excitement. Hope you catch up on your sleep this weekend.

mrshoppes said...

New Goshen (North of Terre Haute) here. We felt it. The goats and chickens were very skittish this morning during the morning milking. And no, we do not milk the chickens. lol

Kim

DidiLyn said...

Just so you rest easy, we have snow here in Orygun today and the news guys are all over it. They are being taped on the sides of highways and byways scraping up handfuls of snow and feeling it's texture. Then they look to the skies and report on how much is falling. Riveting stuff. Really. I guess it's for people who don't want to go outside themselves to check the snow quality and quantity.

Big Doofus said...

It was enough to wake me and the Mrs. up, but we were so confused that we never got scared--just puzzled.

Life In Progress said...

We're in Illinois & the earthquake woke my husband. He woke me up to tell me about it.

In the morning, I didn't even remember him waking me.

Clearly, I am traumatized.

Meme13 said...

I felt it! And actually I saw it was 5.3. Big differance, ya know. ;)

Becky K. said...

Glad you are all ok. I never want to feel an earthquake! I think it would be very unsettling.

How cool for you, though. It was like a 3-d theatre experience for your alien adventure news program.

Becky K.

JAM said...

That was God letting folks in flyover country know how it feels to live in California.

We get something similar every time the Space Shuttle returns from orbit. If it flies into Kennedy from the south, northward along the Florida coast, we get a massive double boom sonic boom. This is especially rough at night because our four little yapper poodles go beserk. It always startles us and it takes a minute for our hearts to slow down and realize it is the Space Shuttle. Seriously, it's way worse than any jet's sonic boom.

Now you can get you a "I survived the great midwest earthquake of '08" T-shirt.