"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Friday, April 4, 2008

I Didn't Know There Was Blue Carpet Under That Stuff

It's been eight years in the making, but the moment of truth has finally arrived.

Yesterday, I devoted the entire morning and some of the afternoon to clearing out clutter from my office. In some ways, as I threw out things that I haven't been able to get rid of in years, it felt as though I were cutting off one of my limbs, or giving up a child...or cutting off a child's limb.

So you see, this was very difficult and emotional to say the least, and perhaps illegal in some states.

Can you see a couple of children hiding under the desk?

My secretary was instrumental in the whole operation. At one point, I was sitting at my desk sorting through paper to toss out, and she was standing up on the counter behind me to wipe down the window blinds. It sure looked to passersby that I was slacking off while I had my assistant climbing on the furniture working like a slave. How astute of them to notice. For her efforts, I told her she chould keep any coins she found.

We set up a couple of FEMA trailers outside my office to house displaced/refugee items until a proper home could be found for them. A few useful (but unwanted) items made it to the shared workroom so that others could claw and fight over such things as empty baskets, an unused ledger book and a tin of 4-year-old candy. (Don't worry. I'm holding onto some things for the giveaway.)


No fewer than 87 people stopped by to express surprise. "Were you fired? Are you clearing out your office?" Most of them sounded sad at that prospect. A couple others might find themselves the proud recipients of my four-month-old wheat rolls if they don't apologize for sounding a little too excited at the thought of me leaving.

If you know me, then you know I loved the attention regardless of tone. In fact, I received about as much attention for my CLEAN office as I used to receive for my MESSY office. "Scott, are you in there? I can't see you behind that pile of plastic pumpkins and Legos."

My conclusion: my personality requires me to have an uber-clean or uber-messy office. I'm fairly certain I wouldn't receive much attention for a middle-of-the-road office: "My, Scott, doesn't your office look absolutely average today. What are you doing in there? Your job?"

So far now, clean is in. And not just normal clean, but so insanely clean and tidy that I'll probably want to work from someone else's office so as not to sully my newly pristine domain. (Did I mention we actually found surfaces to dust? I have surfaces now.)

Next up? I'm off to build that giant wheel to spin and help me select the winner of the giveaway on Monday. It's not too late to enter. I even came across more artifacts that I'm going to surprise the lucky winner with. Lucky lucky lucky indeed.

8 comments:

Jenny said...

What, no pictures?

Scott said...

Ask and you shall receive.

JustAnotherBlogger said...

Heheh...good thing you don't live in France!

http://www.demotivators.com/effort.html

David said...

I know I said this yesterday when I saw it, but I will tell you again how great it looks. Nice work on your part (and Lyne's!). :)

Emily said...

I didn't enter...did I?

and I don't REALLLYY believe that you were that messy, for we only see the clean end of the project.

javamamma said...

Nice, big office. What are you going to do with all that floor space? Cartwheels, anyone?

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

Wow, great job. I knew you'd need a woman to help you though. Men don't think to clean the blinds all by themselves.

FabTheMayor said...

Some days my desk gets so cluttered, I have to go across the hall to sit and grade papers (and I'm the organized one on our grade level!)