"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Mariah Carey Okee Night

Another Tuesday night, another hour glued to American Idol.

The three daughters who are NOT grounded for life are here with us watching Mariah Carey mentor these young artists (though I could have sworn that Ryan Seacrest said "Mariah Carey is the DEmentor).

David Archuletta's singing a Mariah Carey/Whitney Houston duet. Who DOES that? He a boy. He's kinda white. And yet he did really well...especially for a little kid in--what are those he's wearing--rubber pants? O.K. My kids are telling me this song was from the Moses movie "The Prince of Egypt" which makes me cry every time I see it...and it's a cartoon. What kind of man am I?

Carly's wearing "The Dark Crystal" around her neck right now in her pre-song interview. Wouldn't it be funny if the Muppets sang back up for her? ...Well, she's opted for the human piano player instead of Rowlf, but he's good too. She's also opted for singing with her tattoo covered which allowed me to focus more on her husbad's tattoos. Oh, she sang great too.

Syesha. I don't know what she's singing, but it sounds good... Thank goodness Paula just told us that a lot of people don't know this song, so I don't feel as out of touch with contemporary music as I did about 2 minutes ago.

Let me just say that I'm proud of Paula Abdul tonight for wearing a dress that both covered her breasts AND didn't choke the ever-lovin' life out them.

Brooke is singing "Hero" at the piano. I have sung before and I have played the piano before and if I had to do both at the same time on a stage on TV I would wet my pants and run off crying. She did neither.

Kristy Lee is giving Mariah Carey goosebumps in the video piece, so I'm pulling up my sleeves to prepare for this song, "Forever." Wait for it. Wait for it. Nope, no goosebumps, but it WAS good. Maybe if she sang one of MY songs, I'd get the coveted chills. Kristy, call me and I'll get you the music and lyrics for my hit VBS song, "VBS Mart" for next week's show.

David Cook is supposed to win this thing according to my prophetic gift, but he's not rockin' this song yet. O.K. He just took it up a notch, and the strobe light is flashing. Simon said something about "Karaoke Hell" but I think it was in reference to the rest of the night and a huge compliment to David, who is now in tears and speechless. NOW I have goosebumps.

Mariah is giving Jason Castro a hug in the video and her hands are all over the dredlocks. Will someone out there please let me know what that feels like, because my initial reaction was 'ick,' but I'm sure dreds aren't as creepy to the touch as my midwest white mind is imagining. Randy thinks this song is luau material(?), but Paula is in the mood for poi as is Simon, so a great big "Aloha" goes out to Jason.

Just so you all know, in honor of departed Michael Johns, I'm posting this while wearing an ascot.
(photo added at 11:00 a.m. Wednesday. I apologize to my early readers who missed it! Click here for more crazy photos and a glimpse into the scary mind of my wife...or here for her colorful take on American Idol.)

16 comments:

javamamma said...

I have the same prophetic gift you do. We'll see if we're stoned or if we 'have the word of the Lord' at the end of all this madness.

The goosebumps were contagious. Nothing tugs the ol' heartstrings like a teary-eyed guy who I THINK is wearing a 'LIFE band' on his arm and sings pretty stinkin' good.

But I'm still a Jason Castro fan - more my style.

Chris said...

Can I just point out how prophetic you were during Dolly week when you envisioned David Archuletta as Aladdin floating on a magic carpet through Disney? (or something like that) Tonight, he sings a song from Prince of Egypt. Dang you're good!

The men definitely rocked Mariah Carey tonight. Now who saw that one coming?

Huse Blog is it Anyway? said...

Okay, I swore I wouldn't read your comments before I watched AI tonight, but here I am.....

I'll post my two cents tonight.

Why is there not a "cent" sign on the keyboard?

Tammy said...

Thanks for the visual. Because of super spectacular birthday activities I had to listen to AI on the radio. I shuttered to hear it was Mariah Carey week.....bleck.

Still lovin' David Cook. Glad to hear Paula opted for something besides a sausage casing for her wardrobe.

Buncha Blue-Eyed Monkeys said...

Your AI comments and the people who comment here are hilarious!! I searched myself for a cent key last week.

Love the title of this post!!

Jen said...

I chuckled several times while reading this recap, but the Michael Johns ascot reference at the end was laugh out loud material. Thanks for the post. I will now be subcribing to your blog.

Huse Blog is it Anyway? said...

First of all, I JUST got your title. CareyOkee....got it. Almost 2 hours later.

Secondly...I don't know if ANYONE subscribes to my blog. I'm jealous.

Suzie said...

Viva la Ascot!

Thanks for the review. I missed the first half of the show, but now feel like I was actually there...without the commercials.

Becky K. said...

I will be back to read...but you should consider yourself tagged.

Come on over to see if you want to play along...I know the logo is a "tad" girlie...Maybe Cindy wants too run with this one?

Becky K.

Tamara said...

Ditto Jen...the ascot remark seriously cracked me up.

And I think the tears stole the show last night. Then this morning on GMA, I learned that they were prompted by his brother(with cancer) being in the audience. So sweet.

Christy said...

This is the most enjoyable AI review I have read! You're hysterical. The buzz is that David Cook was teary because his brother was in the audience. Having a sibling who has battled cancer makes me love him all the more.

kari said...

So funny because that's the first thing I thought of too "ewwww, she's touching those dreds, wonder what they feel like"... I'm definately rooting for David Cook to win it all.

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

Don't "dread" the dreadlocks! I like Jason, but you're right, the dreads are a little weird, even on John Travolta.

David C. and Brooke both bombed tonight and no one gave me goosebumps. Bad night all around I think.

You totally crack me up in this post.

Melzie said...

cute pic ;) thanks for blogging AI! xoxo melzie

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Nice ascot

Tammy said...

So glad I accidentally scrolled down and got a visual on the Thurston Howell the third accessory! :-D