"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Friday, April 11, 2008

The Power of Words

Words have such power. Think of the Gettysburg Address or the Declaration of Independence.
There's Martin Luther King Jr's "I Have A Dream Speech" and JFK reminding us "Ask not what your country can do for you."

The power of words in our lives is underestimated at times, but they can bring tears of sorrow or joy; they can break down barriers or build them up. They can even save lives, "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!"

Or, as was the case today, words can motivate me to change my pants.

Cindy (wife): OK. Go change your pants, and let's head out for our date.

Me: Why do I need to change my pants?

Cindy: Because they're out of style, and you're going to be with me, and I'm looking really good today.


She absolutely had a point, so I quickly changed into the pants that will undoubtedly be out of style tomorrow.

-------
Then after lunch, I dropped her off and picked up a little boy for me to babysit this afternoon. Again, I heard powerful words.

Ben (4 years old): Your car has trash. Our car doesn't have trash.

Me: Yes, there sure is a lot of trash back there.

Ben: Why do you throw trash away in your car? Our car doesn't have trash.

Me: Well, our girls are messy and just throw their trash on the floor of the car.

Ben: Our car doesn't have trash.
The sad thing is that I think the car was actually pretty clean compared to other times, but his words made me want to clean the car anyway. Not actually CLEAN the car, just WANT to clean it. Clearly, his words weren't nearly as powerful as Cindy's pants-changing power words.

6 comments:

Emily said...

With a stylish wife, is it hard to keep up? She's lovely.

And I think your family must be kin to mine. Everyone on both sides of our family LOVE their cars and it shows. Not a speck of trash (or...gasp...dirt) in any of them.

Then there's my rig.

My suburban still has a broken windshield from last month, and Jim's truck has a broken windshield from last year. Yep, we're white trash.
oh, I forgot to mention the trash...

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Technically, I said, "I look cute today."

Thanks for always making me FEEL like I look cute even when I am a slob or just waking up.

Have Ben ride in YOUR car to get a feel for REAL trash.

The Boyds Family said...

Oh how funny!!!

My husband keeps his car immaculate! Mine on the other hand, not so much. Sometimes I think about cleaning mine too - then I get over it. ha!!

Great post!!

Big Doofus said...

There's just something funny about being told to change your pants when you're a grown man. The fact that you just jumped up and did it is even funnier.

javamamma said...

Oh, a date. I'm jealous. I'm thinking it's time for me and my hubby to jump in our 'trashy' car and head out too.

THEhooahwife said...

Hahaha! The other day I asked my brother in law to grab something out of my car. He came back, empty handed, and explained that he doesn't "do" dumpster diving.

His car is immaculate. But then, he doesn't have 3 kids and a dog either...