"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Monday, April 28, 2008

Some Things Get Better With Age

It's totally true. Age makes some things better.
Like those Star Wars action figures still in the packaging up in your parents' attic? Better.
Jeans you've worn for years? Better.
A softball glove you've been breaking in for a long time? Better.
Or that woman you married 14 years ago who's having another 29th birthday today (Monday)? Way totally absolutely definitely better.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm rubbing it in that my wife is so much better than your wife, but I really can't help it, because she is. It's not entirely her fault. After all, she'd say that part of who she is today is because of me. So to the world I say, "You're welcome. I do what I can."

Actually, I've written here before about what a wonderful woman she is. She'd deny it; she beats herself up sometimes because she doesn't realize that her miniscule flaws only serve to make her awesomeness stand out even more. It's kind of like those spots that models have attached to their faces. On the Wicked Witch of the West, it'd just be called a mole or wart, but on a supermodel, someone decided to call it a "beauty mark." (Whoever was in charge of public relations for skin anomalies deserves himself a raise.)

Please don't get all confused thinking I'm talking about my wife's warts; she has none.

In fact, if I had to list anything negative about her, it would all be limited to the following few categories:

1) Annoying things she leaves under the covers at the foot of the bed.
2) Habits involving her using tweezers on me while I'm driving.
3) Failure to stock up on necessary quantities of cheese puffs and other related "foods" when she goes grocery shopping.

So three little flaws. I only mention those so that when you read the GOOD list you don't worry that somehow I've created a super race of cyborg wives intending to take over the world.

Here's what the rest of the world is missing out on:

1) She hardly wears any make-up. I know, you've seen the photos and it's hard to believe. It's one of the joys of freckles; her skin has natural color and beauty from the moment she pops out of bed. Maybe a little mascara, maybe some lip gloss, but she could go without either and still be oh so dreamy.
2) She makes things happen. I love being married to someone who likes action. Granted, I have my moments when I just need a nap, but she's great at keeping our social calendar balanced with down time and up time. And when she wants to exercise, she rounds up several friends insane enough to get up before 6 a.m. to sweat together. I assume she's just concerned about her cardiovascular health, because I can't for the life of me figure out any other reason she'd be exercising.
3) She's the world's best teacher. She homeschools our kids. She teaches children at church. She teaches women. She teachers me. She volunteers with a literacy group at the public school. She leads a children's choir. And she's great at ALL of it.
4) Cindy is generous and compassionate and thoughtful. I really should have put that first on the list. It's something that so many people see in her. She reaches out to new people, hurting people, people in need. She rejoices and celebrates other people's victories and joys.
5) She's so stinking smart. She figured out this blogging thing looooong before me. She's learned to do different things on the computer and personalize things. I used to be the one to explain computery stuff to her, but now the student has become the teacher.
6) She dresses me well (when I let her). If you read my post last week about that shirt I almost wore, then you understand the debt of gratitude that this planet owes her. I love it when she comes back from bargain shopping for me. I can be guaranteed at least a couple weeks of compliments from coworkers telling how nicely I clean up.
7) She loves God. And she wants to keep loving him even more. She reads her Bible and studies and watches speakers and listens and learns and grows. And the children and I are directly blessed by her faith and love.
8) She's never really mocked me for watching "Battlestar Galactica," and that really is something huge. Most other shows I've watched, she's said, "Do you really think you need to be watching that trash?" But even though she doesn't watch BSG, she somehow gets that it's part of me and I'm part of it, and she's secure enough in who she is in my life not to be threatened by President Laura Roslin or Commander Adama or that blonde Cylon.
9) She sings with me in the van.
10) She makes a beautiful home.
11) She smells nice.
12) She...

O.k. you can tell I'm starting to rush there near the end. I'm blogging up here in bed, and she's heading this way. I don't want her to know what I'm doing, so I have to hurry and finish!

Be sure to swing by her blog and wish her a happy birthday.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Don't forget her wonderful taste in husbands!

Incidentally, I know what she wants for her birthday... ;-)

Huse Blog is it Anyway? said...

awwww....I just got a cavity, that was so sweet.

Big Doofus said...

Nicely done, Scott. Maybe the world will realize that all men are not the pigs that we're made out to be in the media. I always look forward to reading your blog because it's nice to know that other guys can take the time to do it and do it right. Plus, I figure that if I leave a comment on yours someone might see it and come over to my blog to stroke my ego. Is that wrong?

Stretch Mark Mama said...

She IS better than my wife, anyday.

And the least I could tell, she hasn't blown you off the Galactica at the push of a button. What a gal.

Halfmoon Girl said...

Hey, I think my brother might have a reoccuring role in Battlestar Galactica- I get my sci fi mixed up, but I think that is the one. He plays some bald General guy in his younger years.

I think Cindy is awesome too, but you would know better than me.

Tammy said...

Awwwwww, you ALMOST got a tear out of me......almost.

javamamma said...

I bet you've just earned yourself some huge brownie points!