"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Sunday, April 27, 2008

To Blog Or Not To Blog: Top 11 List

I've had a couple of friends start blogging recently. (I should probably get permission from them before I give you links. They may not appreciate the class of readers who find my thoughts interesting.)

As a reader and writer, I love to read the blogs of people I personally know. It's always interesting how uniquely each individual's personality and mannerism translates into writing. Sometimes it can be predictable and comfortable. Other times there are surprises under the surface that pop out in print.

At the same time that some of my friends have begun to write, another has closed down her blog in order to spend her time doing more important things. She may blog again with a different purpose and plan; who knows, but I'll miss reading her writing.

At first, I was caught off guard and was even tempted to be defensive: was she saying that those of us who continue to blog are doing something "unimportant?" I quickly decided that she wasn't. She was just speaking of her life and her priorities, and she has a young baby so our schedules and needs are very different right now. We each have the responsibility to analyze our schedules and figure out what is important and what isn't. We each have the option to drop out of activities that cost time and energy but provide little or no benefit. That's just smart living.

For example, hobbies like scrapbooking, fishing and brick-making may take up valuable time that could be better spent watching TV, reading Soap Opera Digest or collecting Russian nesting dolls. Or vice-versa. Or not. You may have time, energy and resources enought to engage in ALL of those activities without needing to sacrifice anything important or essential in your life.

But for those who have difficulty determining priorities, here is a list of ways to determine if blogging is getting out of hand for you. If any of the following situations apply to your life, it may be an indication that you should cut back on time spent blogging:

1. When you sign your children up for summer pottery class at the community center and they ask for you address, you start to write: http://www...

2. You've stopped answering the phone because it takes so much longer to actually talk to people than it does to write blog comments using abbreviations like ROTFL, BTW, and WYTAW*.

3. You haven't fed your children for three days, but you HAVE read lots of fun recipes from that Pioneer lady and others.

4. Your refer to friends in person by their online names instead of their real names. "Hi, Grace4Gayle! How's your DH?"

5. In the middle of important moments like your child's wedding, a CIA interrogation or a funeral, you pull out your Blackberry and say, "This would make a GREAT post."

6. You don't bother buying CD's or iTunes songs anymore because you'd rather hope you can win everything you want on blog giveaways.

7. You wet your pants when someone links to your blog.

8. You write flattering anonymous comments on your own blog so everyone knows how wonderful you are.

9. Your children try to stay away from you for fear that every cute/embarrassing/dangerous thing they say/do will end up on the blog.

10. You haven't talked to your wife/husband in weeks but you do leave each other the sweetest and most encouraging comments on each other's posts. (By the way, I love you, Cindy, and your hair looks GREAT today. I'm looking forward to dinner with you tomorrow for your birthday! Leave a comment saying where you want to go!)

11. Finally, if you start looking and living like Howard Hughes (see "The Aviator") because you've holed yourself up in your penthouse blogging all day, then it's time for a haircut, and a manicure, and you should stop having your children/spouse slide your meals under the door. They need their dad/mom back.

Maybe you've already wrestled with the subject of excessive blogging and have your own list. What other criteria do you think people should use in determining if they're crossing the line into obsessive-compulsive blogging?

------------
*WYTAW = "What You Talkin' About, Willis?" from Diff'rent Strokes.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

WYTAW... that's a good one! I don't have a blog-writing problem, but I might be slightly addicted to blog-reading.

Tina (www.the-miles.org) said...

So funny! Thanks for sharing those tips...I needed the laugh! I'd have to echo the slight addiction to blog reading that jenny mentioned. I took my break, now I need to get grading!

Carrie said...

Ooooo, I never thought about #8. Great idea!

David said...

Oooh, I'm going to have to start doing #8.

Stretch Mark Mama said...

LOL.

Is it bad when I go to scrapbook my children's pictures and accidentally title them with their pseudo-bloggy names?

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

If you can get "WYTAW" to take off like you got that made up meme to spread, I'll buy you dinner.

Big Doofus said...

Miss Sniz and I will sometimes sit in the living room on our new couch with laptops buzzing away while we frantically read and type. It would be bad thing if she was getting the latest on her soaps (which she doesn't watch) and I was on a singles chatting room. We're just blogging. It's become a very interesting phenomenon--and a GOOD one--in our marriage. We can both honestly say that our communication is BETTER because of our silly little blogs. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but it's been great for us. I sense that you and Cindy are the same way (i.e. demented but happy).