"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Monday, May 5, 2008

Peanuts and Crackerjack and Valium

Apart from the uncomfortable wooden bleachers, the brisk wind ripping across my bald head and some indeterminable smell wafting from below, the experience of spending countless late nights at the ballfield is really quite thrilling.

If I say that enough times, I'm sure I'll start believing it.

The season is still new, and this is our first time diving into softball with our local league. The coaches are great. The players are awesome. The league administrators are superb. The families and fans are terrific.

But 7:45 p.m. start times are for the birds (or possums or vampires or other nocturnal creatures). Most of our games are scheduled for then, but they may start late like our first game which began about 8:10 p.m. Doing the math, we quickly figured this could take us to 10:00 or beyond.

Really, if it were the afternoon, I could sit through 38 innings and love every minute of it, but once the sun sets out here in the country this time of year, the sky gets as dark at 9:30 p.m. as it is at 3:00 a.m.

PLUS, how can one fully enjoy his daughter's softball game while constantly worrying about whether or not the DVR started recording "Battlestar Galactica" at 10:00 sharp?

Fortunately, these girls only play six innings...or until the rapture, whichever comes first.
About the bottom of the 4th inning, the end of the world started looking pretty good, and I thought I heard the four horsemen of the apocalypse in the distance.

Turned out to be a bunch of parents at the next field cheering arrogantly that their game was over.

9 comments:

transplantingme.com said...

in my blog reader the listing for this post read "honey, i fed the kids! peanuts and crackerjack and valium" snicker

Suzie said...

I feel your pain. Tomorrow night, my seven-year-old's game starts at 7:50!

Emily said...

this can't be on school nights?! Wow, crazy Indianans.

Kari said...

I, too, feel your pain. Three of our kids are playing baseball/softball this year. Our oldest is umpiring. Not only is it a major ordeal just to coordinate everything, but, those late 7:45 games are killers. We rarely get home by 10:00 on those nights. This is hard since our kids normally go to bed around 8:45 on school nights.

Big Doofus said...

I'm coaching a 13-15 year old boys team. We have quite a few Saturday games that start at 8:00. Tonight we start at 7:30. Oh joy.

It was VERY difficult this past Saturday evening when the temps were in the mid 40's and we were playing baseball until 10:00 p.m.

I also have one of my girls playing softball and they have to travel some to Plainfield (about 20 minutes from our house). I'm not an official coach for this team, but it seems like I end up taking on more and more responsibility at every practice.

Hootie'sMom said...

Perhaps some nachos with cheese would ease your pain! ;-) They are cheaper than your average ballpark fare. OR, you could see how many ring pops it takes to get through those six innings! I have seen some kids eat 6 or 7!

We are just thankful for the 5-run rule right now!

Jill

Tammy said...

Woo hoo.....I live in a house where neither of my kids wanted to participate in late night sports!
(rubbing salt in wound)

FabTheMayor said...

Just wait until they join the swim team...sit 2 hours, watch her swim for 30 seconds, wait 1 hour until next event. Repeat.

Anonymous said...

thankfully we played our LAST regular season game tonight (flag football). we had a great season 11-2 after a 0-10 season last year. yippee. i don't know how you are making 8pm games. i'd be the one with a blanket snoozing under the bleachers somewhere.
julie
www.homeschoolblogger.com/juliestew