"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Thursday, July 3, 2008

Friends In High Places

Our friends Mike and Michelle are AWESOME.
I really should just publish their phone number and address so that you can go see for yourselves. Their home is in a neighborhood perched up on a hill overlooking the Pacific ocean from a short distance. Absolutely gorgeous.

After we crossed the border from Mexico, we were excited to get to spend the next several days with these dear friends whom we hadn't seen for a couple of years. We really think of them more like family. (The good kind of family, not the dysfunctional kind with the guilt trips, mind games and felonious uncles and such.)

Even though we had just come from camping and building houses in Mexico with no running water--and all the personal fragrances that accomany such a lifestyle--they opened their doors to us and allowed our family of six to join their family of five for a few days.

While I'm sure it was an inconvenience in so many senses of the word, they never made us feel like it. In fact, Mike said at least 37 times a day, "I'm SOOOO glad you guys are here!"

We were able to accomplish everything on my California To-Do List with our friends:
* Eat seafood
* Go to the beach
* Get a nap
* Apply too little sunscreen on my blonde girls and cause them to turn bright red, sensitive to touch, and untrusting of their father.

Well, the last item wasn't actually on the list, but if I add it, it gives me one more thing I'm able to say I checked off.

Additionally, we had the pleasure of attending church with them. I ALWAYS love going to friends' churches when I get the chance. Being a minister, I'm pretty committed to attending my own church most Sundays. Go figure. I did find it interesting that there's a policy requiring an adult to inspect the playground before kids come out. Rattlesnakes! I'm picturing Sunday school teachers going through training on Bible curriculum, discipline and sucking venom out of snake-bit children.

We were also introduced to Vietnamese food at a great little restaurant. Believe it or not, all of the kids ate their food without any issues at all. Children who might balk at the wrong kind of chicken nugget breading ate Vietnamese soups of indeterminable ingredients. Well, actually, it was pretty much chicken noodle soup with shrimp instead of chicken, but still they demonstrated how "foodventurous" they are. (I just made up that word this very moment, so maybe I should trademark it or something. If it turns out that the term is already out there, then you are not obligated to pay for rights to us it in your blogs.)

One of the most memorable aspects of this visit was little 5-year-old Marcus refering to me as "That Bald Guy." I was a little concerned he wouldn't connect with me anymore. He's always had a thing for hair. You know, one of those babies who's always stroking mommy's hair for comfort. So I thought he may have little or no use for a smooth head like mine. However, several times a day he just sidled up next to me to slide his hand under my ball cap and just rest it on my dome for a few moments.

He was so cute about it that I didn't mind at all that he never seemed to remember my name.

I won't bore you with more details of the warm fuzziness of being with our great friends that we don't get to see enough of.

There were tears in both families when we left...and excitement starting to plan our next visit!

4 comments:

javamamma said...

I love good times with good friends!

rthling said...

(The good kind of family, not the dysfunctional kind with the guilt trips, mind games and felonious uncles and such.)

I know that's the kind of family I want to hang out with, LOL! What's a family without a felonious uncle or mind game?

Iris Flavia said...

"foodventurous"!!! :-)

Oh, I just wish I could be that way and try exotic food. But if the chicken isn´t the right kind of chicken... Great word none the less, story made me smile, too.

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Hey, where are ya?