"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Thank You For Your Prayers

While I appreciate everyone who was thoughtful and caring for praying for us while we were in Mexico, I neglected to ask for specific prayers regarding our health and safety in the States.

I wrote about those crazy Mexican Drug Lords a few posts ago, but lo and behold, there are some shady characters in California as well. Plus a couple in Nevada and one in Duluth.

I've read those same urban myths you have about flashing your brights and getting shot by gang members or having your kidneys removed in a hotel bathtub full of ice. So when I was driving south of L.A., I got a little anxious when an SUV behind me flashed its brights at me a couple of times.

My pulse was racing as I said a half dozen quick prayers in English and Spanish (just in case). I slowed down, allowing the crazed murderer in the SUV to pass. I quickly bobbled my head in various directions thereby making my brain a difficult target for the automatic weapons they doubtlessly had pointed my way. You might think I should have woken up my sleeping wife, but I figured she'd rather die in her sleep rather than in a groggy, dry-mouthed, tongue smacking state.

My entire body froze as their vehicle pulled right in front of me and then tapped its brake lights a few times to flash further death threats at me. I braced for impact and made note of the location of the shoulder as well as the other cars I would need to avoid once I was dead and slumped over the wheel.

I glanced down at the speedometer quickly and realized it was hard to read it now that the sun was setting and it was dark on this 31-lane highway. Didn't this rental car have darkness sensors that automatically turned on the headlights and all the glowing dials?

Evidently not.

And evidently in Californina, even gang members who are weilding grenade launchers have enough courtesy to flash their lights at morons who drive at night with their headlights off.

So someone was still praying for us.

4 comments:

TAMI said...

Most of us SoCal people are transplants from parts of the U.S. anyhow, so we bring those 'other world' courtesies along with us!

Tammy said...

Wow! Just wow.

Ronnica said...

"I quickly bobbled my head in various directions thereby making my brain a difficult target for the automatic weapons they doubtlessly had pointed my way."

Thanks for the laugh. When I was buying my latest car, autmatic lights was one of the things I was looking for. Once you go automatic, you can't go back. You end up losing a battery that way.

Kirby3131 said...

I had to look up the "flashing headlights" story on the internet so I could fully understand your nervousness. Now that I understand, the story is even more funny than it was the first time I read it.

Kristin