"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Friday, August 15, 2008

Because We Need More Pets, I'm Tellin' Ya'

Pretty much, we're finding out that puppy ownership is a breeze.

People told us it would be a lot like having a newborn and demand a lot of time and attention. However, we're learning this thing is a cinch. Of course, if we wanted him to stop chewing electrical cords, tearing up chairs, barking, biting and pooping in every corner of the house, we should probably invest a little more time and/or energy.

But seeing as how I head off to work each day, it's my wife who's home alone with this fuzzy parasite. Friends have said it can be a lot easier with a second puppy so they can play together and keep each other company. I'm guessing they would also hold each other accountable and would each remind the other to stop pooping in that corner by the TV. That's my assumption at least.

So you can understand why I was excited when I came across these furry friends--three of them--out on the back deck hiding inside the closed patio umbrella.
I'd seen a growing pile of small animal droppings accumulating on the patio table beneath the umbrella (come on over for a picnic) and figured it was time to investigate. I spent the next several minutes taking gobs of pictures. That was followed by another several minutes spent ducking as I was dive-bombed by these menacing winged demons.

If you look closely, you can see Bat #1 circling and preparing to return to latch onto my neck.

I'm sure you can picture my wife enjoying having some bats in the house to keep Cheddar company during the long, lonely days. How lucky for us to have found them.

12 comments:

Emily said...

Bats. YUCK!

Tammy said...

So much for sipping some coffee while reading a good book on the deck for your dear wife.

Sending a garlic necklace your way!
:-)

Amy's Angels said...

We once had a bat in our house and I was frozen. Couldn't move.

Don't know if I'd be any better if it was outside!!

javamamma said...

Ewww, ewww, ewww.

Kirby3131 said...

I just posted a message on my blog about the 1am phone call I got from my husband (who was out of town) asking me how to get a bat out of the bedroom he was sleeping in. Good thing I was still awake watching the olympics!

Unfortunately I'm well versed with bats in the house. ugh.

Kristin

Big Doofus said...

You probably see bats all the time and just don't notice it. In fact, right now there's a bat sitting on your head. You might need a moist towelette.

carrie said...

I don't think she'll appreciate you bringing THOSE in the house...

We had bats in our house for awhile and they are a pain to get rid of!!!

Lynn said...

Bats are protected here in the UK - if you get them in your house, you can't just get rid of them. You have to get them carefully removed by bat friendly people and taken to a bat friendly neighbourhood (preferably several hundred miles away;)). One once flew through our bedroom window and landed on our baby's cot. Our son was asleep in the cot at the time, so my husband gingerly picked up the bat in a towel and took it outside. As for me, I was frozen on the spot not moving and definitely not getting down from the bed where I was standing trying to avoid the bat!

Emily said...

All I have to say is: Have him gone by October.

Angi said...

Ewwwww! I would have FREAKED! Bats make me think of vampires, and vampires scare me!

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

When I was a teenager we had bats in the house (a very, very, old house)and one ended up in my room one night flying around my head.

I could STILL curl up in the fetal position and cry for days over that all these years later.

Marie said...

You are one seriously funny dude!! The spin you put on your bat story is hilarious.
We had bats in our old house every so often. After my husband died the boys were the bat patrol. One night my daughter-in-law and I were visiting and the grandchildren were over too. A bat landed on the end table right where I was sitting. We scream and leave the house. The boys were called and they called a friend. All (and a friend) came in a vehicle my son uses for work with a yellow light on top. And of course they had it flashing!! lol One had a fishing net, one a baseball bat and one just backed away. Turned out to be a baby bat. But I've had a big "vampire" bat swoop at me while sitting in my chair and screaming at my youngest son up in his bedroom with his music cranked. We found the bat the next day in the curtains. Drat - thought we got him out the night before. So not only did we have bats - we evidently slept with them. That guy was SERIOUSLY big!!!!!!!
I have other bat stories if you'd care to hear them, but you've probably had enough! lol

Good luck with the puppy too!

Hugs,
Marie