"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Friday, September 26, 2008

Coming Soon: BLOG-OUT 2008

Maybe you've seen them.

Every month or so I see another post by someone pronouncing the end of their blogging career. It's their lives, really, and they can choose to blog or not to blog.

The reason many of them give for stopping their blogging? To pursue real relationships and to have time to do more important things.

Good for them. If by some chance a person has stopped investing in friends and no longer spends time on personal hygiene or the care and feeding of their offspring, then yes, it may be time to turn off the computer.

Since we often don't recognize things in our own lives that need attention, I thought I'd try a little experiment.

What if I gave up blogging for a week? What if I fought the urge to write about that funny thing that just happened? What if I didn't hop on over to my wife's blog to read about what's going on in her life?

Would I find out new things about myself...like I actually have 4 children?
Would I make new friends and deepen the ones that I already have?
Would I encounter nature and hug a tree and save a whale and braid hemp necklaces?

There's only one way to find out.


I suppose like any other junkie, I'm going to down a few packs of cigarettes before I give them up. Or the blogworld equivalent: I'm going to go on blog-binge for the next week.

So next week, I'll try to squeeze in as much as I can before I go dark on Friday.

Then be sure to check here daily to read my journal as I document my bloglessness.
7 days until Blog-Out 2008!

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Bwah ha ha ha ha.....blog about your bloglessness.

Brilliant. I'll be waiting!

AmyG said...

OK, I had to read that last line a couple of times. So you're not gonna blog for a week, but you're gonna "journal" your week w/out blogging. Hmmm.... this should be interesting! LOL

Emily said...

So, you're going to document that you're NOT documenting?

ha.

Tim said...

I can hardly wait to see the journaling:

Day 1: People are leaving comments on my blog, but I'm holding firm. I won't blog! They can't make me blog!

Day 2: I find myself spending whole minutes away from the computer. I feel free to leave the room, or even go outside.

Day 3: I've developed a nasty skin condition that my children call 'sunburn'.

Day 4: I can't do it! Three more days ... it feels like an eternity! Cindy caught me checking for comments on a neighbor's laptop ...

Don't do it, Scott. You're not cut out for that kind of pressure.

MInTheGap said...

Hilarious. I'm pretty sure that you'll find that you have time you didn't know you had.

Have fun!