"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Dream Unweaver

I had the most bizarre dream a few days ago. It was traumatic to say the least, one of those dreams you wake up from and are glad it was only a dream. It was so intense, that I refused to think about it for a couple of days. Just too disturbing and painful.

But I’ve calmed down since then and am ready to share it with you.

In my dream, I had some kind of heart condition. I couldn’t really tell you what it was, only that its remedy was to completely remove it and work on it. So my friend Alan did it. It must not have been too serious a condition, because I think the procedure took place in his office; he’s a minister. I’m sure if it were a more complicated procedure, it would need to take place in the office of my lawyer brother-in-law or a perhaps a city engineer like my friend Adrian.

So, somehow Alan got distracted while my heart was out. He wrapped it up in a paper towel and went for a drive and forgot about it. When he returned, and saw my open chest, it dawned on him that he had my heart in his car. By the time he got it, it had dried up like a large piece of jerky. When he woke me up, he had to give me the bad news that my heart was hard and crusty and that he wouldn’t be able to put it back. I was going to die. Of course, in dreams you have at least two or three hours after your heart is removed before you start to fade. My wife was out of town for the day, and I just didn’t have the heart (ha ha) to give her bad news and ruin her trip.

Alan felt bad. I felt bad. It was just a miserable dream. Fortunately I woke up before I died.

When I finally told Cindy about the dream, it was easy see the meaning of it. I clearly am growing heartless and am at risk of losing my heart altogether. I will need to be careful how I try to fix my heart, because my attempts may backfire.

[I’m still working on the significance of the two giant breast-shaped domes that kept recurring. I just can’t quite figure that part out.]

Since I’m in the mood, feel free to comment and tell about a weird dream of yours, and Cindy and I might be able to unlock it and change your life! Free of charge.

8 comments:

All the Arnold's said...

Have I ever shared with you my basic belief that EVERYONE could benefit from therapy?

PJ said...

Interesting dream. I'm not sure I'd ask Allen to help you with that heart issue. Maybe your wife would be a better candidate since you were trying to avoid talking to her about it.

I had a strange dream the night before last. I too am a pastor (of the non-senior variety).

In my dream my wife and two daughters (I'm only out numbered 3 to 1 when it comes to going to the mall or watching Gilmore Girls) were in the church offices waiting for me or something. While they waited they were watching the video for the Depech Mode's People are People. Since our senior pastor is also an 80s refugee, I wanted to tell him about the video. When I first stopped by his office he was on the phone, so I went away and came back a couple minute later to see he had hung up. I told him about the video, and noticed he was crying. When I asked why, he said that he had just heard that John McCain, while speaking at a campaign rally, truly accepted the Lord. I was surprised that Chris would cry about that, but then I woke up.

I have no idea what this means, but it was interesting anyhow.

Actually, I have another dream that I've written about that is just as interesting.

rthling said...

You have a broken heart?

I have a crazy recurring dream about a house.
In this house there are no halls. In order to get to any room, you have to go through other rooms. Each room is more lavishly decorated than the last, but they are decorated by my MIL, who shops at Big Lots and QVC.
The crazy thing is that one of the houses I looked at (before we found the one we're buying) had two bedrooms that you had to go through other bedrooms to get to. It totally creeped me out! (is that a word?)

Judy said...

Okay... How about this one:
http://judysommerville.blogspot.com/2008/09/its-dreary-and-rainy-out-today-so-i.html

Emily said...

I know someone who is great at interpreting dreams.
I think this one needs it.

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

I think you were feeling guilty for how cold-hearted you were to me one evening. :) I hear writing love letters do a good job of restoring cold, shriveled up hearts.

javamamma said...

I want to comment on this post but it might be unseemly. So never mind.

I so think you guys and us would have a riot together.

Mo said...

I think your dream means you need better friends. Who drives around with their buddy's heart in their car and forgets about it? That's harsh.

My now-husband has two children from a previous marriage. Shortly before he and I got married, I had a dream that he left me alone to watch the kids. But for some inexplicable reason, the younger child was part human/part squash. Before he left, my husband gave me very specific instructions that if the baby started to become more squash than human, I was to promptly microwave him and this would turn him back into a bouncing baby. I followed the instructions, which worked just as fortold, and at the end of the night I was so proud that I had successfully ended the night with a healthy bouncing baby, rather than a gourd.

When I told him about the dream the next day, he was less than pleased with my babysitting skills. I'm not sure why.