"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Monday, September 1, 2008

Hot Stuff

While we were out camping, neighbor Brian sent me a message saying our garage door was open. He wanted to make sure we'd like it closed before he went and shut the dang thing.

I like nice neighbors.

I jokingly emailed him back about checking our iron, stove, bathtub faucet, etc.

I didn't think to suggest that maybe he check and make sure the fridge door was closed. After all, nobody ever leaves a fridge door ajar, right?

So when I dropped by the house to grab some necessities, guess whose fridge door was open? (You guessed? Am I that predictable?)

For the next couple of weeks, why don't you come on over and enjoy some of the fine creations from our room-temperature-all-weekend fridge:

Milk...cut into cubes
Butter soup
Warm, limp hotdogs
A tube of biscuit dough exloded all over shelf 2 (lid on shelf 4)
Yogurt, which I didn't open, so I can't describe it for you, but you can use your imagination.

Fortunately, payday was near, and in our house, those last few days before payday, the fridge and pantry are pretty slim as we dine on crouton sandwiches and some canned beets from 1998. Not much was lost beyond the aforementioned items and all those staples like mayo, salad dressing and sauerkraut (which technically had gone bad before it even left the sauerkraut farm).

Thank goodness there wasn't a fresh loaf of Velveeta in there.

10 comments:

javamamma said...

Velveeta doesn't need refrigerated anyway does it? Glad there wasn't more casualties.

javamamma said...

P.S. I thought this post was going to be about your wife. Ya know, the title an' all.

Tammy said...

I am sure all those items are delicacies in third world countries.

Despite the fact I love some yogurt, the milk cut into cubes comment got me! Bleck!

Jenny said...

Aw, that stinks... literally, I suppose. Well, like you said, at least it was right before payday when the fridge wasn't fully stocked. Crouton sandwiches and beets from 1998... that cracks me up!

Judy said...

Long time reader/lurker/fan. Finally leaving a comment...

Here's a good one: We lived in SE Asia, you know...the tropics...same hoy, humid weather 365 days a year. One year we flew back to the US for Christmas. My husband went back to SE Asia first to get back to work. After 120 hours of flying (well maybe only 20), he got to our house at 1am to find that the fridge had been off. (knocked out by a tropical thunderstorm)There was some meat that smelled nasty and blueberries that were in the freezer, but had thawed, oozed out and all over the floor! I was just so thankful that I hadn't walked into that after that horridly long flight.

Just felt I needed to share.

david santos said...

Thanks for your posting and have a nice Day.

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Yeah. Thanks for your posting, and have a nice day. :D

Mr. E said...

You have such a way with words. You should write a book or a Dave Berry type column.

Amy's Angels said...

This is actually one of my fears! Coming home from a trip to find that the power went out--the food spoiled--but then the power came on and possibly not knowing that the power went out and the food spoiled.

Silly, I know.

But I'm guessing from the smell, you'd know.

Christine said...

I feel your pain. We went on a camping trip last summer and left the fridge door not completely closed, which meant that the light stayed on for three days. And nigh on cooked everything on that top shelf! There was celery or herbs or something that at one point was green and leafy, but was brown, dry and crumbly because of the desert-like conditions it had to endure in close proximity to the fridge lightbulb. And our fridge even beeps at us when it's left open! Apparently we were too busy hurling things willy nilly into the cooler to notice it's insistent chirping at us!