"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Saturday, October 25, 2008

Costumes By MacGuyver

Well, I feel kind of obligated to write a little about politics and such here in the next couple of days based on exit polls from the early absentee commenters on the previous post.

I'll try to temper it at least a little so as not to be so flippant about some serious subjects as I was yesterday.

But that's not to say I'm going to be all the way serious. After all, how can you look at the political landscape this election season and not at least giggle slightly, or possibly even chortle heartily?

But I'll talk about that stuff later. I'm in the mood for less cerebral fare at this particular moment. We're gearing up for a party tonight, and the kids are hunting down "costumes."

I put costumes in quotes, because some would argue that these are not so much costumes as they are fashion experiments gone horribly awry.

Our kids are realists. They are under no delusion that Mom or Dad are going to be sewing a tail on a tutu or spray paint a robot-box silver. They know that they're on their own to see what crawls out of their closet at the last minute.

This is why Shelby was contemplating dressing as a "Hershey's Kiss Basketball Player." See, we already own basketball uniforms AND aluminum foil for making a Kiss-shaped hat with a strip of paper sticking out saying "Hershey." Genius! (With a hint of "weird.")

Brynne is going as a "School Girl." For that, she only needs to find clothes that one might wear to school. Plus she'll carry a backpack for candy.

If it's wrong not to stay up all night making fairy wings, pirate peg legs and victorian corsets, then I don't WANT to be right.

Are you with me on this?

7 comments:

ET @ Titus2:3-5 said...

I am so with you on this! We gave each of our kids a $10 budget at the local thrift store, then took all the stuff they chose to Grandma for some alterations. (So I guess someone did get stuck with a bunch of sewing, but at least it wasn't me!)

javamamma said...

I'm so with ya. My poor kids.

And, by the way, if you quit contemplating and actually DO a cheesetoberfest, my hubby will bring the parmesan. He's a fanatic.

Valerie said...

I confess we just came home with a can of shiny silver spray paint for the box in the garage that will be a robot costume for the oldest and I did buy a pair of wings for the other daughter's butterfly costume. I'm such a sucker!

Judy said...

When my son was about 5 he got a book with animal masks to cut out. Those masks took care of a few costumes. I just had to find sweat shirt and sweat pants in the right color for the animal. Sometimes I made a tail. Then he wore the sweats for play and for pjs! I hate halloween and tried to play it down as much as I could. When my kids were in 2nd and 5th grades they decided they didn't want to participate in the school party at all.

Here's a fun thing: We would go to eat at a Chinese restaurant to avoid the trick or treaters (Chinese don't celebrate halloween). My kids are now a freshman and senior at the same college and they are going out to eat together for halloween at a Chinese restaurant! Made me smile when I heard that!

Okay, this was a really long comment... sorry

Christy said...

I'm liking your parenting philosophy. And your politics.

Big Doofus said...

We do the same thing here. If the kids have their own idea and are willing to do the work and contribute some or most of their own resources, we're willing to help out some.

Aaron B. Huddleston said...

I like it. Helps keep their imaginations and creativity alive. Too many kids lose that as they grow up!