"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Thursday, October 23, 2008

Here In Spirit

Yesterday was a 9-Year-Old's birthday at our house.

Every birthday till now, we'd been able to count on a birthday card coming from BuddyPa (the girls' great-grandpa). However, since his death a few weeks ago, we prepared ourselves for that odd and very real void that is felt at holidays when someone is noticeably absent.

My mom's card and present arrived as usual of course, and tucked inside was a note from her about BuddyPa being with us in spirit. Plus a little cash, just like he'd always sent.

Brynne began crying, as did Cindy and I. Other sisters wiped their eyes as well.

His cards always said something like "wish I was there to celebrate with you."

Well, maybe he IS...now more than ever before.

7 comments:

javamamma said...

Sheesh. I've been laughing til I CRIED at all your recent posts. Now I'm just crying..... Beautiful.

AmyG said...

OK, didn't know your BuddyPa, but man, that made me tear up! HUGS & prayers to you all!

Tammy said...

I agree, he was with you now more than ever. Sweet post.

Gayle said...

I'm so sorry you are all missing BuddyPa. I saw his picture in your kitchen window and he looked like someone you just want to hug.

Anonymous said...

yes, they truly are with us in spirit...my mom use to send me 20.00 on my special day...and to this day my step dad still keeps that tradition alive...although since my mom's last 20 and the ones in between...i. have not spent. wierd....but someday...i will spend those 20.00's and smile as i do thinking of my mom, who i so despartedly miss...i turn 50 on Saturday...i always thought what fun it would be to turn 50 and have mom here to celebrate...but instead God sent a smile from my mom...because today i found Hydrox cookies back in the store celebrating 100 years...my mom loved those cookies and always wanted them to come back on the cookie shelf....HEY mom they are back! sorry for the long comment, Scott....happy day to your lovable daughter! yeah for october b-days! betsy from florida.

Emily said...

What a sweet post. I also saw his picture in your kitchen. You write good serious posts too!

ET @ Titus2:3-5 said...

Geesh. I was not expecting this. I started reading, waiting for the punch line, and burst into tears. My kids are all looking at me like I've lost it. It's beautiful to see BuddyPa's tradition being carried on.