"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Monday, November 3, 2008

I Shall Not Be Voting This Week...

...because I enjoyed some early voting last month. While some of you may choose to vote twice or more, I'm not down with that.

O.K. I must admit that many people who read this blog have grown accustomed to me writing about things that are either:

a) funny
b) stupid
c) weird
d) embarrassing
e) cheese-related
f) all of the above

Therefore, I feel I must warn those of you who wish not to read my personal opinion on a serious subject that you can just come back tomorrow when I return to the inane. Who knows, maybe I caught someone off-guard a couple weeks ago when I mentioned politics and abortion. It is definitely a hot-topic, and many people have made conscious decisions to avoid the issue altogether. If you don't like the subject or don't wish to read a post that might differ with your views, here's your last chance to click away.


...5

...4

...3

...2

...1

O.K. for those of you who risked it and stayed, I want to confess that I think for this go around I've turned into a "single-issue voter." I was tempted to think that this might be small-minded of me. So you see, I'm open-minded enough to consider that I might actually be small-minded.

While I absolutely understand that many many people do not consider abortion to be wrong because they do not consider the unborn child to be alive yet, I do. And while I understand that many many people cite lots of benefits of abortion--some of them really noble--it doesn't make something I consider wrong to be right. We just have a fundamental disagreement on wrong and right.

(I really think someone of you don't like reading this kind of stuff. Seriously, come back tomorrow when I'm back to my normal self.)

I'm not violent. I'm not going to bomb a clinic or kill an abortionist. And I'm not going to call a woman who's had an abortion a murderer. According to the laws of our land, she's done something perfectly legal for now, and many people determine what is right or wrong by looking to our nation's laws to guide them.

Unfortunately, we keep learning of new and more horrifying ways to get the job done. Partial-birth abortions and live-birth abortions have sent shockwaves through the pro-life camps and caused them to feel even stronger about their stance, fearing that it looks like it's getting worse.

(Remember. You can click away if you don't like this drivel.)

As long as an unborn child is viewed as simply tissue that a mother can choose to get rid of, it probably doesn't matter to the doctor if it is removed by crushing the living tissue, sucking out the insides of the living tissue, or burning the living tissue with chemical solutions. If it's not a little baby human, it really doesn't matter at all. When you take my appendix out, I won't care how it's done. Granted, my appendix doesn't respond to my voice while it's still inside me, so there might be some differences between an appendix and a baby/fetal tissue.

I suppose 150 years ago, if all slave owners were kind and gentle plantation owners who treated their slaves like family with love and respect, slavery might have endured longer. And if abortions were performed "humanely," it might not draw as much attention from opponents. But as it is, we have legislators that continue to fight for people's rights to increasingly horrific methods of abortion. They're pretty much begging for me to vote against them.

(You're still reading? You can always hit backspace and go to your previously-viewed page.)

But let me be completely honest with you. If I had been raised generations ago on a plantation with slaves, there's a very good chance that you'd never convince me slavery was wrong. And if I had been raised in a different family today and had been exposed to many good people who benefitted abortions, I might be embracing abortion today as well.

So I will seek to understand even more those who disagree with me. They really are smart people who have given the subject a considerable amount of thought.

And I will use my opportunity to vote for what is important to me.

I WISH everyone in this nation agreed with me 100% and felt exactly the way I do about everything, but if that were the case, there would clearly be a shortage of Velveeta, and its price would surely skyrocket.

So there you have it. I'm a single-issue voter, it looks like.

Now if there ever were an anti-cheese party, I might be a two-issue voter.

------

Tomorrow: No political stuff whatsoever.
The next day: Probably not then either.

21 comments:

rthling said...

Yep, I stuck around til the bitter end.
But then again, I'm with you.

Cindy said...

Don't you dare raise the price of Velveeta. I might go broke.

I stayed to the end too. Good Post!

rthling said...

PS,
Check out the video on my blog, if you dare!

Jennifer Raack said...

I stayed to the end and I totally agree with you! I read my email and then logged on to read what you had to say today. Look at what was in my email today:

A Doctor's Wisdom:

A worried woman went to her gynecologist and said: 'Doctor, I have a serious problem and desperately need your help! My baby is not even 1 yr. Old and I'm pregnant again. I don't want kids so close together.'

So the doctor said: 'Ok, and what do you want me to do?'

She said: 'I want you to end my pregnancy, and I'm counting on your help with this.'

The doctor thought for a little while, and after some silence he said to the lady: 'I think I have a better solution for your problem. It's less dangerous for you too.' She smiled, thinking that the doctor was going to accept her request.

Then he continued: 'You see, in order for you not to have to take care of 2 babies at the same time, let's kill the one in your arms. This way, you could rest some before the other one is born. If we're going to kill one of them, it doesn't matter which one it is. There would be no risk for your body if you chose the one in your arms.

The lady was horrified and said: 'No doctor! How terrible! It's a crime to kill a child! 'I agree', the doctor replied. 'But you seemed to be ok with it, so I thought maybe that was the best solution.'

The doctor had made his point. He convinced the mom that there is no difference in killing a child that's already been born and one that's still in the womb. The crime should be considered the same!

Gayle said...

I have to say I like your serious side. It's like a whole new Scott Adventure. But then again, I completely agree with you.

I posted a new poop story today and thought specifically of you. I aim to please.

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

I cannot believe we both posted about serious political stuff and abortions on the same day! Freaky weird. Did you read mine?

Maybe we should see if we have more in common?! If you EVER get home from work, maybe we can check it out. :)

AmyG said...

Add me to the single issue voter list. Your post is dead on to how I feel, you just said it better than I could.

javamamma said...

Not funny or weird but very good stuff.

heather said...

Another single issue voter here! Voting FOR LIFE tomorrow!! Because LIFE really is more important than the economy or taxes! Praying for a MIRACLE!

Jenny said...

Well said!

Becky K. said...

Very good post.

I am glad you weren't too "cheesy" in this one...

Seriously, it is fascinating to see the various ways of handling our politics and faith on our blogs.

Becky K.

Sarah said...

I am really a single- issue voter, myself. And on the same topic. I can't even stand to think about what they would continue to do, if they were given the freedom.

Great post!

mudlarktales said...

Well said.

Emily said...

Single minded is not always small minded. (men can be single minded, and look how it keeps propagating the human race!)

I'll never be ashamed to have been a single issue voter.
In this election there was multiple issues that swayed my vote though. Killing unborn babies at will was at the top.

EEEEMommy said...

Of any, this single issue reflects a candidates character, values, and priorities. When a man says the FIRST thing he will do as President is sign FOCA overturning the desires of voters in all the states by invalidating the laws they have fought to establish on the state level (informed consent, parental notification...) what kind of message is that? And what will he do second?!?!

I think it's really cool you and Cindy were on the same wave length at the same time.

Kritter Krit said...

The only problem I had with this post is that you kept reminding people that they could ignore this post and wait for Funny You to return. There's a time and a place for Serious You, too. And that time and place is any stinking time and it's THIS place. It's your blog, man, stand on that soapbox and preach it!!

...Of course, I'm with you on this issue. I'm not a giant McCain or Palin fan, but I, too, have become a single-issue voter.

Although they say the better-looking candidate always wins, which doesn't bode well for McCain.

Barbara said...

Jennifer above received the same email that I did.

Life is most important to me, having 2 children and 6 precious grandchildren. I,too, voted for LIFE!

KimberlyM said...

You've got another single-issue voter here. Loved your post. You should run for office.

Amanda said...

Very well said, indeed.

My Goodness said...

Great post...

I'm so proud that my state was RED!!

Kim said...

I feel compelled to comment. I am not pro-abortion. I would never consider one. I don't know anyone who has had one. I definitely do NOT consider them a form of birth control.

However....

I would like to know what your opinion would be if your wife or one of your daughters were pregnant and for whatever reason, that pregnancy was threatening the mother's life...the mother or the mother and child was likely to die.

Would you then consider a termination to be appropriate?

I am asking this seriously. I would consider this to be acceptable. This is a medical emergency.

Under no other circumstances, would I think it appropriate.

Just wondering what your view of that is.