"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Lazy or Smart?

Don't you love it when little kids get into the kitchen cabinets and pull out the pots and the pans and make a mess all over?
Me neither.

There's a better use for those lower cabinets than storing noisy things.

Once our kids got to a responsible age, we found it helpful to keep all their own cups, plates and bowls in a lower cabinet.

This way, when one of them says, "I'm thirsty," I can remain peacefully stretched out on the couch and point in the general direction of the cup cabinet and grunt, "git yo'self a cup and fill it with some water."

The increase in my children's self-reliance is amazingly proportional to the increase in the my weight. Hmmmmm.
-------
As always, for ideas that are even more impressive than mine, check out Rocks In My Dryer for more WorksForMeWednesday ideas.

6 comments:

ET @ Titus2:3-5 said...

Totally smart. And geniusly (is that a word?) lazy!

DorisHawley said...

We did that, too! We also put the cereal in a lower cabinet, so I didn't even have to get out of bed to make them breakfast. They could do it themselves!

Tammy said...

BRILLIANT! When my son was probably around 3, we would put his sippy cup with milk on the bottom shelf of the 'frig and put a recycled butter dish (or some other easy for a toddler to open container) full of his cheerios on the table. Then we would leave the TV on Noggin channel so when he turned the TV remote on, he and we were set for an extra hour or so of sleep!

Now, he's 9 and quiet as a mouse in the mornings and completely capable of feeding and entertaining himself while others sleep.

Blessed said...

We do that too... although my little one is a bit too small to do for herself yet :)

My WFMW tip is at
http://afrugalhousewife.com

amy said...

I put all the kiddie stuff under the sink when I didn't want to try and install some kind of child-proof lock on the door. Now, at ages two and four they are safe from the harmful chemicals AND I can blog while they get their own water.

Amy @ Experience Imagination said...

Lazy or smart? Uhm ... both! Great tip--this smart, lazy mom thanks you.