"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Radio Active

Sunday morning on the way to church, I was listening to a local radio station.

When one song ended, I heard some coughing and some whispering like there was a live microphone without the DJ realizing it.

Then she began to read a commercial announcement about an upcoming community event. When she messed up, she started over...several times. After FOUR MINUTES of working on this one ad, she said, "There's just no way that's going to fit into 30 seconds."

Duh.
I caught on by then that someone had accidentally popped in the tape(?) of the rough original recordings for promotional announcements instead of the final edited ones. Accidents happen.

I could not change the channel, because I did not want to miss something being said like:
"What's that smell? Did someone just cut one?"
"Omigosh. Did you see Suzy's hair today? It is hideous!"
"[on cell phone] Yeah, here's my credit card number, and expiration date, and secret code number from the back."

Do you guys have any ideas of what else might be funny and/or awful to say in the recording room if you didn't know it would accidentally be broadcast? Or maybe you've been caught with your video camera or speaker phone on or wore a live microphone into the bathroom?

7 comments:

heather said...

Late one night, at the hospital, the operator left the overhead speaker on while he had a rather racy conversation with his girlfriend! And if that wasn't bad enough, everyone heard him tell her that the switchboard was all lit up, but he was going to ignore it and keep talking to her! You try to save someone, and they just hang themselves anyway! ;)

heather said...

Late one night, at the hospital, the operator left the overhead speaker on while he had a rather racy conversation with his girlfriend! And if that wasn't bad enough, everyone heard him tell her that the switchboard was all lit up, but he was going to ignore it and keep talking to her! You try to save someone, and they just hang themselves anyway! ;)

Gayle said...

Chris constantly bumps the call button on his cell phone and dials me up when he's meeting with people. I can't tell you how many "man-conversations" I've been privy too. Very Enlightening!

Tammy said...

Your story is quite amusing but Heather's comment had me rolling!

My husband's cell phone ear piece will sometimes "call me by accident" (what the hubby says) and I am sitting there with an open line listening to him talk at work.

Nothing ever "good" said though. Just shop talk.

Anonymous said...

I'm teacher, and one time my office-mate had a student who was partially deaf. She wore an earpiece while the teacher wore a lapel-microphone. One time my friend gave the class some math problems to work while he went to the bathroom. He forgot to turn the mic system off! He said he could never look her in the eye again.

Becky K. said...

My husband used to work at a television station and there some funny stories about wireless mikes and the bathroom...but then those abound...

My Mom's cell phone called her sister-in-law while we were in church one week so my Aunt(States away) listened to most of our service while trying to get my Mom to hear her to tell her to turn off her phone. As my Aunt was not feeling well that day, it was as if God just blessed her with her own bedside church service.

Becky K.

Amanda said...

Once at church, the special speaker left his live mic on in the bathroom. He was overheard horking up some mucus, nothing more.