"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Thursday, November 27, 2008

That's Just Fowl

I was doing a search for the most complicated way to prepare a turkey for Thanksgiving. Not because I actually want to engage in that kind of insanity. I'm more of a buy-a-large-boneless-chunk-of-perfectly-shaped-turkey-meat kind of guy. Actually, I love HAM; ham's already cooked so you just have to heat it up, and a microwave can do that in a pinch.

No, I was simply wasting time on the computer. Searching for the lengthiest-to-prepare turkey recipe was as good a time-waster as anything.

So check this out: I know you've probably heard of a Turducken which is a chicken inside a duck inside a turkey. But how about "The True Love Roast," which has a different bird for each of the 12 days of Christmas. (For those struggling with the math, that's 12 birds.)

Here is the picture of the whole flock which explains why it takes more than 45 minutes to put together and 8 hours to cook:



Any guesses on what birds "my true love" gave to me?

OK. I'll go ahead and ruin the surprise, because--quite honestly--there are some birds on the list that I've never even heard of:
1. Turkey, 2. Goose, 3. Barbary duck, 4. Guinea fowl, 5. Mallard, 6. Poussin, 7. Quail, 8. Partridge, 9. Pigeon squab, 10. Pheasant, 11. Chicken, 12. Bald Eagle

(OK. I'm kidding about the bald eagle, but that sounded more American than the "Aylesbury Duck" from the original recipe.)

If you're eating anything less than 12 different birds today, clearly you are just plain lazy.

Have a happy Thanksgiving anyway. Enjoy your loved ones, and by all means, get off this blasted computer and go eat some guinea fowl or poussin...whatever THAT is.

5 comments:

The Milkshake said...

Happy thanksgiving!

-Tessa

rthling said...

12.LOL!

Tammy said...

I always thought Partridge was just a family?!

Happy Thanksgiving!

javamamma said...

call me lazy!

Tim said...

We only had the plain, 23-pound turkey for just our family, and yes, it is almost gone. Teenage boys can eat a LOT of leftovers.

I got a good chuckle out of bird #12. Perhaps you can apply for a presidential pardon, I hear that's all the rage.