"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Bread. Seriously, Folks

At our office, we've all signed up for what we're bringing to the staff Christmas luncheon. (We also had the discussion over the difference between a "lunch" and a "luncheon." Generally speaking, I believe doilies are the main differentiation.)

There was a list of blanks with a certain number of spaces to sign up for either appetizers, cakes, pies, vegetables, salads, nogs, etc. All that was left when I signed up?

Bread.
Seriously, folks.

Claudia's bringing her world-famous sourdough rolls. How can I compare with that? You see, Jeremy brought a delicious tray of wheat rolls last year, but when Claudia's in town, all other rolls are dismissed. (Hence, Jeremy's left-over rolls are wrapped and stored on my top office shelf. I'm not even kidding. There was a prank planned for them, but I forgot what it was 11 1/2 months ago.)

So what should I bring?

A) a loaf of Wonder Bread
B) Hawaiian rolls
C) Mini Muffins of some kind
D) Bread sticks (maybe with a little sun-dried tomatoes and parsley for holiday colors?)
E) Jeremy's Wheat Rolls

If the magic of the internet works quickly, maybe I'll be reading your ideas in time to shop and/or bake for our doily-laden luncheon tomorrow (Thursday).

12 comments:

AmyG said...

I think you should bring Jeremy's Wheat rolls! lol

If not, I like the bread sticks idea with the sun dried tomatoes and parsley.

Sorry I don't have better ideas. Enjoy your luncheon! ;o)

ET @ Titus2:3-5 said...

I vote for D.

Thank-you for clarifying the difference between lunch and luncheon. I had always wondered. You truly are a wealth of trivial and absurd information! :)

burning4eternity said...

My vote is the bread sticks.. with melted Velveeta to dip them in :)

That fudge story still makes me chuckle

javamamma said...

If you would've given better warning, I coulda sent you some amazing artisan bread I've been making. Too bad.

Lynn said...

It's probably too late for you to use this tomorrow - but these are the best rolls EVER!

http://www.recipezaar.com/Buttery-Bread-Machine-Rolls-65340

mylifewith5kids said...

Take some cinnamon rolls. Most people can't pass up bread dripping with sugar!

Emily said...

Bread doesn't have to just be rolls. So I'd go the muffin route. Change it up.

Jodie said...

I think you HAVE to go with the wheat rolls! I mean, if you can't compete with the other superior breads, then at least you can entertain the masses. The choice to me, is crystal clear. Crystal.

Seriously. Bring Jeremy's rolls.

Jodie said...

Oh, and by the way, I'm onto you. I know your laziness well. You signed up late, you say? What, were you hoping to have everything already partitioned out and then you would have to bring what? Riiiggghhhttt, NOTHING.

That was your plan.

I know it.

david said...

Your choice was great - it tasted good and looked festive! :)

Jennifer Raack said...

Had I only read your blog last night!!! Marie Callendar frozen yeast rolls are always a huge hit...and all you have to do is slap a little butter on them and throw them in the oven!

Mr. E said...

The exact same thing happened at my Christmas party at work. I was left bringing "bread". The day of party I went to the grocercy store, (which happends to be next door to my office), and bought a couple of nice warm loaves of French Bread and Garlic Bread. Nobody ate them. They ate some plain ole' dinner rolls someone brought and heated in the microwave right before the party started. Ahhhhh!