"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Lazy Man's Wreath-Hanging

It took a few years to figure out how best to hang wreaths on our windows at Christmas time.

We have a traditional-style home with lots of windows (11 or so) on the front of the house, and we love to have a plain, artificial wreath in each one, and a candle on each window sill. (See how badly the house to the right needs a bunch of fake wreaths?)

I had tried suction cups and attachments to clip on the frame around the window. I'm not too eager to put nails and screws on the outside of the house, because I imagine the house might fall down if I did.

A couple of years ago we discovered the easiest and fastest method that works for us.

I simply take a length of red fake-velvety Christmas ribbon and loop it through the wreath and staple the ends of the ribbon together. If I was industrious, I could also make a bow out of the same ribbon...but I'm not, so I haven't.

We have the double-hung windows (i think that's the term), so we can open either the top or bottom pane. To hang the wreaths, I slide down the top pane and fling out the wreath while holding onto the ribbon.

I lower the wreath to the right spot. Then I shut the window with the ribbon stuck in it. The window does all the work of holding the wreath in place, and I haven't had to do any major construction or destruction.

Best of all, I haven't had to step outside for even a second! In a matter of minutes yesterday, I had all our windows wreathed and ready for Christmas (except for the garage windows which will require burrowing through 12 months-worth of spiderwebs and ladybug carcases trapped in the blinds).

I hope this helps at least one person be a little lazier this Christmas season.

[photo added]
You can pop over to Rocks In My Dryer to see a bunch of other people's great WorksForMeWednesday ideas; I just scanned the list, and there's a heck of a lot of Christmas ideas for you...plus a yeast infection idea if that's your thing.

9 comments:

javamamma said...

You are quite genius!

chickadee@afamiliarpath said...

that's a great tip! i use those sticky hooks that you can remove (but i never remove them).

Frugal Finds said...

great tip!!!!

Jodie said...

You have the best tips EVER. You teach me, week after week, how to amp up my laziness. That rocks. :)

Stretch Mark Mama said...

I have stepped up my laziness. NO WREATHS AT ALL. :)

~~tonya~~ said...

What a great tip!!! TFS

Tammy said...

You, Scott, have certainly raised the bar of laziness, I mean creativity, to an all new high!

And it is sheer brilliance. Step aside Martha Stewart.....

(And your profile photo is too cute.)

Marie said...

That is one honking big house you have there! Let's see a pic with the wreaths actually up. I won't believe it till I see it. Sorry lol.
It was a good tip though, but sadly will not work with my house which only has 3 windows to the front and they are casements (crank outs).

Hugs,
Marie

THEhooahwife said...

So smart!

I have to say for some reason I started laughing uncontrollably at the yeast infection remark.

I know I shouldn't be surprised by now, but... it happened again. One quick stab of humor and I get my laughing quota filled!