"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Monday, December 8, 2008

Horseradish and Bananas...yummmm

Last night, Paula Dean was competing in a rerun of an Iron Chef episode in which they're making all kinds of Christmas desserts.

Paula Dean is such a realistic cook, it's hard to believe they let her on TV. While other TV cooks are creating masterpieces out of arugula, capers and vichyssoise, Paula deep-fries things, drops in whole sticks of butter and pretty much makes me want to lick the screen.

It was late, and I was drifting in and out of consciousness. In a moment when I was neither here nor there, I thought I heard them say she was making fudge using processed cheese. This couldn't be true, so I fell back asleep and dreamed about how perfect it WOULD be if you could truly make cheesy fudge. I love cheese. Cindy loves chocolate. It would be our perfect edible love child.

After a full night of dreaming cheesy-chocolate dreams, I hopped online to investigate this mythical food of the gods. It turns out that there are extremely popular recipes that involve Velveeta and sugar and cocoa, and some people swear that they will never bother with any other fudge recipe. One recurring recommendation was "do NOT let people know what is in the fudge or they will not like it." But if you keep the cheese a secret, people will gobble it up like it's crack cocaine. (I have no experience with this drug, but I understand it's addictive...like cheese.)

I hope to try making this fudge very soon and giving a report so you can celebrate with me.
[All right....I made it. Read about it here.]

In the meantime, hold on to that hope you've had that you and your lover's favorite flavors may actually go great together:

Steak and blueberries.
Salmon and espresso.
Chocolate ice cream and lentils.
Cinnamon and tuna.

10 comments:

AmyG said...

Cinnamon & Tuna?? Eww! lol I was way to early in the morning for me to read this post. My stomach is churning!

Jodie said...

You're a nutcase. :)

I wish I was like you.

Angie said...

"Paula deep-fries things, drops in whole sticks of butter and pretty much makes me want to lick the screen."

I erupted in laughter when I read that, and I say "Amen."

I truly enjoy reading your blog!

javamamma said...

You know, my stomach was already queasy - this did not help. Ugh.

Emily said...

'Paul' Deen? Her brother? I'm confused.

La said...

that sounds really gross, but hey, i use sour cream in my homemade apple pies! (another time you shouldn't tell people what's in the food)

Tyna said...

I have a fantastic Peanut Butter Fudge recipe that called for Velveeta. We LOVE it. Let me know if you're interested and I'll pass it on to you.

Scott said...

Thanks, Emily. I made the correction. I feel just awful for confusing you.

Tammy said...

I saw this particular episode too. I'm not so much the Velveeta girl, but I can put away some chocolate. I'd give it a whirl, in the name of research. Let me know how it turns out.

rthling said...

Ah, the annual licking of the screen- this is why that screen cleaning solution was invented, you know.