"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Sunday, January 25, 2009

How Do You Spell Relief?

Cassie keeps amazing us.

Once a quiet, shy little girl who would hide behind our legs, she keeps finding herself on the stage in front of an audience...and appears incredibly comfortable. Who would've guessed?

She had a starring role in our church's children's musical last spring.
She played violin in a school concert for the first time a couple of weeks ago.
And then this week she competed in the school spelling bee.

Amazingly, she looked natural up on the stage in front of the whole school. She didn't look a bit nervous.

By contrast, her mom (Cindy) was an absolute wreck.
Curled up in a catatonic ball under a cafeteria table, Mom could barely stand to watch each time Cassie got up to spell. It was genuinely entertaining to watch Cindy develop nervous tics and sweat and hold her breath.

Cassie was awesome. She spelled with ease, and I am so proud of how hard she prepared and how well she did. There were some really hard words that many of us had never heard of before, and we even questioned if some of them were even really words on this planet.
In the end, Cassie lasted all 18 rounds and came in second place.
PERFECT! If she had come in first, she would have had to go on to compete in the next round downtown.

And I don't know if Mom could handle that kind of pressure.

6 comments:

rthling said...

It took me a while on your random title.
Way to go Cassie!
I would have been a mess, too.

Tammy said...

Yay, Cassie!

I would have been a nervous wreck too. Cindy deserves some chocolate. :-)

TAMI said...

Congratulations, Cassie!! Very well done!!

THEhooahwife said...

Awww! Good for her! I can't imagine what a wreck I will be when my kids start doing things like that. And with my firstborn the way she is, there is no doubt I'll have to indulge her desire for performing!

Becky K. said...

So totally Awesome, Cassie!

Christine said...

Good for her! I'm a former spelling champ kid myself and I promise you, it's a skill that she'll use for the rest of her life! All the words, maybe not, but a facility with words is a great thing to have sometimes! My mom was the same as Cindy... she said the hard part was often not really knowing as I spelled whether I was correct or not because she had no idea how a lot of them were spelled!