"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Daddy's Little Secret--Works for Me

My intention a few years ago was to compile a book filled with helpful ideas for dads.
It would be humorous yet poignant.
It would have easy recipes and cleaning hints.
It would have shortcuts and advice.
And it would be titled "Honey, I Fed The Kids...and Other Miracles of Fatherhood."
But then I started to blog instead.
I still hope to write it. After all, we dads need all the help we can get. When the dreaded moment comes, and Mom has to be out of town overnight, every dad cries inside like a baby.

But here's one little itty hint for surviving a weekend like that.

I'm a minister and pretty much am expected to be at church on Sundays. (They like me to show up through the week too it turns out.)

But without Mom there to dress 4 little girls--this was when they were all preschoolish age--panic could have set in. That's no small feat. Not only did they have to be dressed, they had to be dressed WELL and acceptably enough for public consumption.

Instead of the catatonic rocking route, I chose the road less traveled.

I simply dressed them the night before at a leisurely rate and put them to bed in their cute dresses and jumpers. Mission accomplished.

We were at church even EARLIER than if Mom had been there to help. (Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah.)

Feel free to use my idea, dads, but don't make the same mistake I made. Don't go bragging to all your wife's friends about your sneaky plan. Just keep this between you and me...and the kids. Tell them not to tell Mommy or else they won't be able to have ice cream for breakfast next time Mommy's gone.

--------------------
For more Works-For-Me-Wednesday ideas, check out the party over at Rocksinmydryer.

8 comments:

javamamma said...

I consider this Chapter 1. I'm printing it out for my hubby.

Tammy said...

I suspect you had Belgium Braids in all their hair too. Brilliant, man.

Diana said...

That's priceless... and there's a few of us slacker mom's that might even consider it on those occasions we need to get out early!

THEhooahwife said...

hahaha! That is great! It sounds like something my hubby would pull!

Kari said...

You may not believe me, but our head pastor at church actually used to do this with his own kids whenever his wife was away. I am cracking up. Do they teach you guys this stuff at seminary? LOL!

Totallyscrappy said...

My husband is a pastor. Why didn't we think of this?? Hey, I could've used this tip today!

Kathy in WA said...

Brilliant idea! Love it. Do you do hair as well?

Tooz said...

For what it's worth: If David had tried that with our first daughter, she would have been undressed before the lights were out. She was ALWAYS the last one we dressed, and we got out of the house as quickly as possible after dressing her.