"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Monday, February 2, 2009

The Reason Behind The Shutting Up...

I mentioned in my previous post how my with-it wife uses the phrase "Shut UP" in much the same way you might say "Get Out!" or "No way!"

What I DIDN'T mention was WHY she said it most recently.

At dinner, while we were celebrating our anniversary the way mature, classy, dignified folks do (which means "over a steaming pot of melted cheese fondue at a restaurant", of course), I gave her a new opal ring.

And the automatic response from her was "Shut UP!"

It caught me off guard, because that's the same response I got from my suggestion to eat at White Castle (greasy little burgers) for our anniversary. Only there was a slightly different tone and inflection.

Fortunately, after 15 years of marriage, I'm able to discern the difference.

However, I'm still working on distinguishing the nuances of "Get Out," "No way," and "Clean up after yourself" in their varied uses.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

must be wuv, twu wuv

javamamma said...

Oooohhh, a new ring! Wow, you did GOOD this year!

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Did I really say that? I don't remember that!

Big Doofus said...

My wife's favorite expression is, "I'm going to shoot you in the face with a bazooka if you even THINK about touching me." I'm convinced that it's just a funny thing she says. Sure, I have taken many blows to the face from her with whatever blunt object she can get her hands on in the heat of the moment (or the "lack of the the heat of the moment"), but we don't own a bazooka anymore.

Big Doofus said...

Actually, my wife's favorite expression is, "This is the deal" and when I made the banner for her blog, we both knew that this phrase needed to be part of the image.