"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Spicing Things Up in the Bathroom

So things are a little dull in the bathroom, eh?
You have a boring mirror over the sink that has no frame and just sits there looking mirror-y?
Then do I have a quick, easy, cheap solution for you.

Here's a glimpse of our bathroom mirror before. I didn't bother cleaning it for this photo or anything. I like to be real. It's just a rectangle of mirror and that's it. It needs a little pizzazz. A lot pop. A little je nais ses qua.
I neglected to take photos of the process during the make-over. But it's simple enough, you can just imagine.

1) I bought some wood trim pieces and 4 corner "rosettes." (I think that's what those things are called. They could just as easily be calle circle-y square things.) I think all the materials cost $20 or so.
2) I cut the wood. By using those rosettes in the corner, I saved myself the trouble of having to cut angles and matching them well.
3) I painted the wood. It helps to paint the BACK of the trim too, because it's reflected in the mirror.
4) I glued each piece to the mirror. Yup. A little glue gun action and voila!

Again, I left some fingerprint smudges in to make it look more home-y.



Here's a bigger view (it really is hard to take a decent picture in a small room).
I think the frame classes up the joint a bit.
Notice I didn't include the sink and countertop in the photo, because all the classing up done by the frame would have been negated by the fact that I was too lazy to clean up all my beauty accoutrements. I did, however, include our wall cabinet dedicated mostly to pain killers and Q-tips.
--------------
There's more random ideas to make people's lives better, easier or prettier over here at Rocksinmydryer every Wednesday. But mine's the best.

16 comments:

renee @ FIMBY said...

Hey, I popped over here from Rocks in My dryer.

This is so cool! I'm glad I stopped by. I have 2 mirrors I'd like to do this with, one in our basement apartment which we are renovating to rent for next month and one in our own bathroom. Both windows are blah, blah, blah... This idea would really jazz them up.

Thanks for sharing it.

THEhooahwife said...

Wow. I'm impressed! That seems rather easy and looks very nice!

Becca said...

I've so been wanting to do this in our bathroom - but I didnt think of using those rosette thingys to make it easier! maybe now I can convince my hubby that it's just not that hard! :-) thanks for sharing!

AmyG said...

Looks great!!

Mo said...

Looks great! (And, I luv the 'homey' fingerprint touches!! LoL)

3XMom said...

This is a great idea! I am totally doing this! thanks!

happylittlehouse said...

Looks great!

Heidi said...

So just regular ol' glue gun will stick the wood on the mirror?

I think the finger prints were added for the camera, a true homey mirror look would have included flecks of toothpaste along with the finger prints.

{Jodie} said...

Yeah, yours is the best so I'm not even going over to see what everyone else is doing.

I've needed "just the thing" for my bathroom for a while - I swear we have the same mirror AND the same lighting fixture. Also, the black is a nice touch... I think we'll do the same thing in ours! Great idea (or you know, idear. :)

Diane said...

I love this idea I will have to check out the wood pieces I can get to class up mine too.
Thanks for sharing.

Ellen said...

This could be perfect for my new in bedroom vanity area that I greatly dislike. It has a mirror like this one. This would look soooo much better than the way it does right now. How much of the edge of the mirror do you cover up? Does it really lay flat? Any additional details that a seriously craft challenged person might need would be greatly appreciated.

Ellen said...

Oh yeah, exactly what kind of trim are we talking here? Is this crown moulding trim?

Kritter Krit said...

I am IMPRESSED! No way did Velveeta Fudge Man make such a classy mirror. ;)

javamamma said...

This is way nice! Good work.

Raise Them Up said...

I have seriously been wanting to do this to our bathroom since we moved in--but didn't want to get into making the corner cuts. The corners you used are a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing!

sandwiched said...

Brilliant! I'm in the planning stages for a powder room redo, mostly because the kids have pulled the towel bar and toilet paper holder fixtures out of the wall.

I so love this look. And I'm not at ALL handy, but I think I could handle this.

Thanks a million!