"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Sunday, March 29, 2009

RE: Your Requests That I Burn In a Ring of Fire

Based on the comments from several ("two" can be considered several in cultures whose population is under 10) readers, I guess I've let you down by taking time off during our Spring Break and not live-blogging about American Idol on the night that Adam sang "Ring of Fire."

Since then, though, I HAVE had a chance to watch the show in its entirety.

Unfortunately, our reserves of bleach, Lysol, Spic-n-Span and Febreeze weren't enough to successfully remove the images and sounds of Adam's performance from whatever synapses in my brain that they've latched themselves onto.

Nothing against Egyptians and their music, but I wholeheartedly believe that when Johnny Cash wrote that song (or June or whoever wrote it if it wasn't him), he never imagined that it would one day be sung by a gothish freak channeling a 5,000-year-old decomposing pharaoh clawing from within his sarcophagus clutching a hairless temple cat. Couldn't he at least have worn a cowboy hat or boots or chewed on a piece of straw?

I honestly had never listened to the lyrics of "Ring of Fire," so I just now Googled it. It seems to be about burning and fire and falling in the fire and burning, burning, burning. Essentially, it was a prophetic description of the sensation of watching Adam sing it.

Perhaps if I stick a bit of Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser on the end of a long skewer and jab it in through my ear canal, I could remove that haunting performance from the spot in my cerebral cortex where nightmares reside.

7 comments:

DidiLyn said...

mmm hmmm.Now you suffer with the the rest of us.

Suzie said...

Thank you!! I completely concur.

jerriann said...

hahahahahaha!!!
Hey there Salty Sister and D here, we love your take on the excrutiating rendition of Adam's (ah) performance, oh my goodness, he was a mess wasn't he. Amen to Mr. Clean's magic eraser.

Chantelle said...

Yay! Thanks for your take! I, personally, thought it was mesmerizing - like when you drive by a tragic accident and can't tear your eyes away...

:)

Blogging Mom said...

LOL! His song also kept ringing in my ears. Even after I slept, I could still remember his rendition. Gotta have that magic eraser!

Anonymous said...

I felt like I needed a Silkwood shower after his performance.

Stretch Mark Mama said...

thanks for the laugh...