"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Tuesday, April 14, 2009

American Idol Heads To The Movies

Tonight, the role of the contestants' Jiminy Cricket will be played by Quentin Tarantino.

First up is Allison who's trying to convince me that she "Don't Want To Miss A Thing" from Armageddon. Unfortunately, I think she missed a few things, namely some notes. I get the impression she wowed the live audience more than our dead audience sprawled on the couch here in Indiana. Maybe we need a new tv. I thought the whole song was meh, but the judges had nothing but good to say.

Anoop got some interesting advice from QT as he prepared his Robin Hood song "Everything I Do, I Do It For You." I know this won't make a lot of sense to you, but I instantly thought of Alladin's "A Whole New World." And no, it's not some ethnic stereotype. Nosiree. It's just that at a friend's wedding the groom sang "Everything I Do" and I sang "A Whole New World" (no, not simultaneously. That would be even weirder than me singing it at all). It was supposed to be a duet with my own personal Jasmine (Cindy) but she conveniently threw up or something in order to force me to be both Jasmine AND Alladin at the last minute. But I should at least comment on Anoop's performance: very nice.

Adam was "Born To Be Wild" from "Easy Rider." My daughter was intrigued by the fingernail polish and the leather and jewelry, and commented: "If you cut his head off, he could be a girl." However, what I THOUGHT she said was, "He should bite the head off of a squirrel." And that really wouldn't be a huge surprise now, would it?

Matt Giraud sang Bryan Adam's "To Really Love A Woman" from "Don Juan De Marco." I really like the song normally, but I didn't like his performance of it tonight. He did all right, but I think it's a good idea to try to sound better than the original if at all possible

Danny Gokey has lost his glasses. I'll assume it's intentional, that he has contacts or a corneal transplant. But he's singing seated on a stool. Now he's standing up. If he trips off the stage, then we'll know the answer to our glasses/contacts question. He's singing Lionel Richie's "Endless Love." Paula said it perfectly using the words "grabbed us," "wowed us," and "slayed us" but I'm going to have to google "tambor" to figure out what she meant with THAT.

Quentin Tarantino had some good praise for Kris Allen and his choice of "Falling Slowly." He's starting understated. Now he's building and belting and I'm loving it. But again, my TV version must be sooooooo different from live in the theater, because Randy's not digging it. But Kara must be watching it on a tv too because she thought it was his best ever. Only thing he had against him is the song was obscure, but I'm getting old, so a lot of these new-fangled songs are obscure.

Lil's going to sing "The Rose" which she'll have to sing pretty loud to drown out Cindy joining in. Before the break, I was worried this type of song would continue her downward spiral away from her natural style. But now she's talking about how she's going to throw in a little gospel action. If she does, she'll have herself a hit. She could make an old song new again. Let's see if she does. Well...I think she gets 95% there. She needed to really wail near the end to get the extra 5% from me.

So, if the ushers are going to come into theater with their flashlights and ask a few unwelcome movie-goers to leave, it'll be...

...Lil, Anoop and Matt.
But honestly, I would've guessed that without even watching these performances. Tonight didn't alter any of my previous thoughts about the level of talent we're dealing with.

And hey, I didn't really rag on Adam tonight...unless you count that comment about him biting the heads off squirrels.
-------
If you haven't already read my wife's take on AI tonight, check it out because she puts each contestant in an 80's flick. See if you agree with her choices.

7 comments:

jerriann said...

Hah, I loved it.
There must be something seriously wrong with me to be back on the computer this quick.

I wish I could come visit you two, ya'll are so funny. Anyway, waiting on daughter Danya, aka "D" to call in and give me her take on AI tonight. She has a new born, I think I've told the whole world two or three time already.

Anyway. I agree with your bottom choices, even though I love Matt.

jerriann said...

whatever, anyway I said anyway two too many times. please forgive.

Suzie said...

Kudos for mentioning Jiminy Cricket in an American Idol post. Maybe next season they'll stick with Disney movie songs.

Heather said...

I was wondering what the judges were thinking when they were praising Allison...were we watching the same performance?! I thought it was awful, and I normally like her.

Smoochiefrog said...

Biting the head off a squirrel. Funny!

Karin said...

It's "timbre" not "tambor." Now you can Google it.

Suzy said...

Ok, you made me laugh out loud TWICE. I'll have to bookmark your blog. Even funnier is the coincidence that my friend speculated that Adam would bite the head off of a bat next week. Will have to go check out your other 1/2's take one AI.