"The Muffled Cries For Help From a Daddy of Four Beautiful Little Girls"


Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Cooking From Scratch...and from Memory

Or
"Cantaloupe Dump Cake"
Or
"What To Do With That Angry Cantaloupe In the Back Of the Fridge"

I actually love to cook. It would do my heart good if Cindy would let me cook her some fancy steak meal for her birthday, topped with bleu cheese and bacon. (Those of you who are working on diagramming that sentence, be sure to have the steak topped with the bleu cheese and bacon, not me.) Maybe also an original salad and a side of stuffed tomatoes or sushi.

But, alas. Cindy is of the opinion that birthdays are not a time for cooking in the house and having dishes to clean and tables to wipe down. So it's off to a nice restaurant to give others the joy of cooking and cleaning and wiping.

While I'm thinking of cooking, though, I will leave you with a delicious recipe I found at allrecipes.com this week. I'm not going to bother looking up the recipe right now, because I find it much more exciting to try to write the recipe from memory. You should try living on the edge like that, too, sometime. It's very liberating (unless you're preparing raw pufferfish. That's stuff's lethal if prepared wrong. Cantaloupe isn't nearly as unforgiving.)

A few days ago I was looking at that cantaloupe in the back of our fridge. It was starting to whimper, hidden behind a gallon of salsa, worried that it would be forgotten. So I pulled it out and checked allrecipes.com for an idea of what could be done with a cantaloupe that--quite frankly--should probably have been thrown away at that point. We've always eating our cantaloupe raw like watermelon, but I thought I'd see if a softer melon could be fine for some other recipe.

So here is what the recipe was (I think):

First off, I cubed up about half of a cantaloupe.
I tossed it with
1/3 cup of lemon juice
1/2 cup of sugar
1 Tbsp of flour
2 Tbsp of melted butter
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of nutmeg
1 tsp of vanilla
(I actually doubt all three of those ingredients were supposed to be a teaspoon, but I believe I didn't feel like dirtying other measuring spoons so I just rounded them all up. Excuuuuuuuse me for being lazy.)

Then I poured that juicy mix into an 8x8 baking dish.
and covered with
1 box of white cake mix (just the mix, not the actual cardboard box)
1 melted stick of butter (1/2 cup) poured over the cake mix

Baked it for 45 minutes.

It ended up tasting awesome and all the kids wanted seconds. With the spices, it really tasted more like an apple pie, and no one would've guessed it was a dying cantaloupe.
---------
More mind-numbingly thrilling ideas for your edification at the Works For Me Wednesday weekly festival of joy and planetary peace.

7 comments:

Tammy said...

I guess nobody else has any idea what to say about this. Neither do I.

Except Happy Birthday to the Mrs. and stay out of the kitchen unless cheese is involved!

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

It was much, much better than I would have thought. I would have really liked it if you hadn't told me there was cantaloupe in it.

Trying Hard To Cook Mom said...

I like the idea of preparing meals at home for celebrations but the after party care really wears me out. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I can't wait to try it.

Bahama Shores Mama said...

i'm sure this dump cake will be tried at this house as we seem to have forgotten cantaloupes hiding in the back of our fridge more often than not. Now, what to do with the UFO's????

Your Frugal Friend, Niki said...

Wow I just love ALL Recipes. They have some really interesting recipes that surprisingly turn out rather well.

:)

Big Doofus said...

I'm a natural cook and my wife loves it when I get creative in the kitchen (at least there's one room in the house where she likes my creativity--sorry). Anyway, one time I decided to whip up a batch of enchiladas based on what I like in enchiladas. We had a big group of people over and here I was experimenting. They turned out to be some of the best enchiladas we've ever had--but since I didn't bother to write down what I used, they were a once in a lifetime experience. I wonder if there was any cantaloupe in the recipe?

Big Doofus said...

Also, I wanted to point out that "Trying Hard To Cook Mom" is my new favorite blogger name. I love the idea that someone is out there trying to come up with new ways to cook their mother.